Students and staff reveal their Mother’s Day plans

Photo courtesy of Wikiwand
A historical marker showing that Mother’s Day was created by Anna Jarvis in 1908 and became a national holiday when President Wilson recognized it in 1914.

Many may make breakfast, some might buy flowers, others may get a gift but all show appreciation for the person who brought them into the world. This Sunday (May 8) is Mother’s Day and students are getting ready to give their mothers a lovely surprise. “[I’m] probably going to make breakfast and lunch and then if I remember my brother and I will get her a present,” freshman Leyton Seo said.

One thing that many people do is make or buy cards for their mothers. This year is no exception as, according to Forbes, nearly $32 billion will be spent on the holiday this year.

“I think I am going to take my mom out to brunch and give her a card,” sophomore Olivia Hookman-Vassa said.

Mother’s Day began over 110 years ago when Anna Jarvis decided to hold a memorial service in honor of her mother who had passed away a few years before. By 1914, President Woodrow Wilson had made Mother’s Day a national holiday in the United States. Later in her life, Jarvis tried to abolish the holiday she had created when she became disappointed that the holiday became about sending cards and companies selling gifts as opposed to a day where one would just honor their mother.

“[To me, Mother’s Day means] appreciating your mom and doing everything to show your appreciation to her,” Hookman-Vassa said.

If you enjoy making crafts, one fun thing that you can make for your mother is paper flowers. These can be really fun to make and if you have never done this before, there are plenty of videos that can show you how to make them.

Many students ask what their mother needs or surprise her with a gift that they do not know about.

“Last year, she needed a new suitcase so we got her a fancy suitcase with a bunch of compartments,” junior Camilla Veal said.

Mother’s Day brings important meaning for everyone, but for teachers like math teacher Paige Schultz, Mother’s Day this year will hold extra value, as it is her first Mother’s Day as a mother.

“I’m excited because it is something to celebrate for the first time,” Schultz said.

1
0