Dare to Green: WJ Celebrates Earth Day

This year, as in years past, WJ celebrated Earth Day in the best way possible: by showing students how they could celebrate the Earth in their everyday lives. But as an added bonus, many of the displays at this year’s Earth Day festivities, which were created by the Peace and Social Action Club, the Environmental Club and Amnesty International, offered suggestions that also promote student health.

At the Peace and Social Action Club table, the club passed out cookies to students who signed up for their club, took a flyer or donated a dollar to their cause-a scaled down version of last year’s Eco Café.

“We’re trying to promote fair trade and organic eating and we’re trying to show different options for food products,” said sophomore Sasha Tycko, one of the leaders of the club, who pointed out various Newman’s Own Organics brand organic cookies and organic juice. The donations went to raise money for a local homeless shelter.

At the Environmental Club display several posters displayed various suggestions for a more Earth-friendly lifestyle. Senior Tal Fix, the secretary of the club, helped organize the posters, which concerned issues including composting, recycling, energy efficiency and a biodiesel demonstration by senior Gabe Schwartzman.

Fix offered a variety of easy solutions for students looking to green their lifestyle.

“A lot of things students don’t take into account are recycling and energy efficiency at home,” said Fix. “Just turning your light off and not leaving your charger in.”

Senior Yasmin Radbod, an AP Environment student who often helps the Environmental Club, also offered a special poster raising awareness on being vegan and its environmental and health benefits.  

“I’m just trying to get the word out that if you’re really serious about saving the environment that sacrificing some meat, that’s not a bad thing,” said Radbod. “It’s better for your health and it’s better overall.”

Radbod noted that there are many healthy ways to adjust your diet that don’t have to involve a full commitment to veganism.

“You should definitely eat organic foods as often as possible,” said Radbod. “You should also try to eat things that don’t have any packaging, so if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables that’s a lot better for the environment because you’re saving materials from actually being used,” said Radbod. “If you eat healthy, that’s inherently better for the environment.”  

She also offered students a petition trying to “green the cafeteria” which would mean more vegan and vegetarian options. “I was raised on meat and dairy, and then I went vegetarian, and shortly after that, vegan,” said Radbod. “I honestly think I have more energy than I used to. You’re eating protein and much less saturated fat, and it’s a lot easier to digest than meat.”  

The rising graduate noted that switching to a vegan diet is 50 percent more effective in reducing your global warming impact than switching to a hybrid car.

Students may not have to switch to hybrid cars either, at least according to Schwartzman, who offered a display on making biodiesel, which he used to create in his basement.

“I’m encouraging people to look into alternate fuel sources,” said Schwartzman, who added that making biodiesel is relatively simple, and cost effective.

“For every gallon you produce, it costs around 50 cents to a dollar a gallon. And diesel’s around 2, so your making a good amount,” said Schwartzman.

Environmental Club member senior Judy Lillibridge offered several tips for reducing your environmental impact.

“Now you can recycle plastic lids, which reduces the amount of waste going to landfills,” said Lillibridge. She offered some last, yet forceful, guiding words to students everywhere.

“Don’t mess up the Earth, or else you will die.”

0
0