Pitch Staff Picks: Favorite Halloween Movies

It’s that time of year again. As fall falls upon us once again, at the end of October, there is Halloween. There are the recently-coppered leaves falling out of the trees, the little kids dressed up as superheroes and the cavity-causing, corn-syrup-saturated candy.

Halloween is not all about candy and make believe. For many, it’s about horror. Specifically, the horror movies that they watch with all the lights off, cuddled up in a Snuggie, crouching in fear and covering their eyes. Here are some personal favorites from the Pitch staff, ones that we enjoy and scare the beejesus out of us time and time again.

The Village. It is kind of a cool story. It is interesting to think about, how it is this village within the modern world, and none of the younger people know that there is this world outside of where they live. I was surprised sometimes; it wasn’t cheesy at all, it was just interesting.” -Print Editorial Editor Liz Wasden

It. After I saw that movie I had a primal fear of clowns. I saw it a very young age. The way it was directed made it very impressionable on my young, astute mind.” -Business Manager Alex Spinard

The Exorcist. I’m old school, and I like watching Linda Blair’s head twist 360 degrees over and over again. I also can’t help but laugh when she crawls up the stair backwards. Max Von Sydow is a really creepy priest, and I cringed when Blair projectile vomits. It’s the best horror movie ever made because I enjoy it more than any other horror movie.” -Online Sports Editor Daniel Fanaroff.

Cannibal Holocaust. Riz Ortolani’s music is some of the scariest and most beautiful I have ever heard. And no CGI will ever be as scary as watching a real tortoise get its head hacked off, or a monkey getting its face cut off by a machete. You won’t be okay for days after watching this hellish film.” -Staff Writer Cameron Keyani

Nightmare on Elm Street. I watched it since I was little with my brother and we would stay up until midnight to watch it. It was really cool and scary.” -Online Sports Editor Daniel Gorelik

Paranormal Activity. It is really realistic and really creepy. I saw it in a really creepy atmosphere, watched it at my friend’s house, with all the lights turned off. I was really scared that night.” -Staff Writer Brendan Benge

Suspiria. It’s a really campy yet terrifying horror film. One moment you are hanging on the edge of your seat and the next you are laughing at how cheesy it is.” -Print Arts & Entertainment Editor Sophie Meade

The Shining. The entire movie is very elusive. You don’t know which characters to trust and what is really versus what is a delusion. Even the good characters are incredibly disturbing, and that open-ended aspect to the plot is very intriguing. I really love the classic horror films, the ones that play with your mind and question reality. The Shining captures the brilliance of old film-making and really is one of a kind.” -Online Feature Editor Taliah Dommerholt

0
0