Restaurant Review: Chicken on the Run

The food served at Chicken on the Run, especially its namesake, is uniquely delicious.
Photo by Leila Siegal

Venturing into downtown Bethesda, you will find many restaurants advertised by flashy signs. Flashing neon lights, elaborate script and even fire are among the decorations seen on the front of shops and restaurants.

This is not to say that plain-faced eateries are not of good quality.

Take Chicken on the Run, for instance. Though not having an ornate exterior, the food served at the Peruvian restaurant in Bethesda is top-notch. The best dish is its namesake, the spit-roasted chicken.

The chicken is truly a flavorful experience. The taste of smokey, roasted meat is followed by a tang of spices. It is not something to be missed.

However, accompanying dishes are also excellent. A notable side dish is their fried yucca, or a savory potato-like plant sizzled to a golden brown. It imitates the fried goodness of french fries, but without the extra grease.

The sauces deserve an honorable mention. The salad dressing, spicy mayonnaise and green hot sauce all add to the great food. Just watch out for the hot sauce, which may burn your tongue if consumed in large quantities.

Chicken on the Run can be found at 4933 St. Elmo Ave, Bethesda, Md. 20814.

Opening Hours:

Monday-Friday: 11:00 a.m.-9:30 p.m.

Saturday: 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m.

Sunday: 11:00 a.m.-8:30 p.m.

0
0