Playboy to have first transgender model centerfold

After the death of Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, many were unsure about the future of Playboy. Recently, the magazine announced that they would feature transgender model, Ines Rau in their magazine, which has brought up a lot of controversy.

After hearing the news that Rau would be featured on the magazine, some thought this would have a great impact on the transgender community.

“I think this is an important step because they have more recognition,” junior Julia Baumel said.

Baumel feels that Rau can be a representative for the group and help bring confidence in others who are struggling with their gender identity. Rau can set a good example about the possible success of people who aren’t typically motivated to follow their aspirations no matter who they are.

Others feel that Playboy’s decision says more about the magazine’s audience than its influence on the transgender community.

“It’s a sign that people, especially young people, are more tolerant of trans people by default,” senior Sam Cooksey said.

The fact that Playboy is willing to display different demographics means that the general public may be more likely to accept all people and not just the ones that are similar to themselves. The magazine certainly thinks so.

Before Hefner’s death, the Chief Creative Officer, Hefner decided that Rau would be a perfect candidate for the newest issue.

“We’re at a moment where gender roles are evolving,” Hefner said.

Playboy has decided to move in a new direction to keep up with society.. As their viewership is becoming more accepting of less traditional norms, the magazine is advancing as well.

Many are impressed with Playboy’s ability to make progress and think this will help develop and change the views of its audience.“I believe this is a great step in the right direction for society because if people see that Playboy is accepting of her, then I think the repercussion in society will allow many other people to be accepting of the transgender community as a whole,” Baumel said.

The people who read Playboy may slowly be able to connect with transgender people on a new level and see them more as individuals after being exposed to a different perspective.

The addition of Rau to the magazine could have a variety of business possibilities.

“I think this will help their business with all the attention,” Baumel said.

Rau is not a typical bunny and while that may raise some questions, Baumel believes it will be effective because more people will be interested, whether or not it is for a positive reason. The possible controversy will nevertheless create more interest regardless for the cause.

Others aren’t as convinced Rau is a good idea for the magazine.

“I don’t think the general viewership will react positively to the new model,” freshman Jake Silverman said.

Although he doesn’t particularly have an opinion on the model, Silverman thinks the readers of the magazine will have a negative one which will not be good for sales.

No matter what people’s opinions may be about the new model, it is sure to have a great impact on the readers of the magazine and the transgender community.

0
2