Astroworld: Wish You Were Here Tour review

Bennett Wright

More stories from Bennett Wright

Mid 90s: Movie review
November 27, 2018

Travis Scott performs on his on-stage roller coaster for the sold out Capitol One Arena. Wish You Were here tour also had performances from other rappers Gunna, Sheck Wes and Trippie Redd.

Rapper Travis Scott recently visited Washington D.C. on his Astroworld: Wish You Were Here Tour. Scott has been known for having some of the best live shows in music and this reputation has proven to be well-deserved after years of sold out tours. After seeing all the hype from his previous shows, and the fact that Scott is personally my favorite rapper right now, I needed to buy tickets to this tour. As I expected, this show did not disappoint. It was the best show that I’ve ever seen live. During the show I could not get it out of my mind that I was watching something special that I may never see again.

It started with Scott’s signee, Sheck Wes, who has been blown up recently from his Billboard Top Ten hit “Mo Bamba.” Wes started the show off with a boom as he opened his set with his hit record. Wes kept the same energy through his whole set and the energy in the crowd was very high as he was only the first act of four.

Next was probably the only disappointing act of the night for me: Trippie Redd. He had a really lackluster performance and the crowd seemed to agree. The energy in the Capital One Arena was much lower for this performance than any of the other acts. It’s not that his songs were bad, he just had poor stage presence and nothing to add to his performance.

The last opening act was Gunna from Young Thug’s YSL label. Gunna has been on fire this year with hits such as “Sold Out Dates” and “Drip Too Hard.” His performance was not too crazy. However, the energy in the crowd made up for it. Scott also brought out DC native Shy Glizzy for the song they have together “Do You Understand?” Overall, his performance was short, sweet and got everyone ready for the headlining act.

Scott had the best live set that I’ve ever seen. From the pyrotechnics and lights, to the stage design, Scott kept up his energy throughout the entire performance. He performed 33 songs which included old hits for his day one fans, a great touch. The effects were also crazy as there were always numerous lasers and lights around the arena and fireworks going around.The stage included a single loop roller coaster for him to perform on over the whole arena, as well as a huge inflatable astronaut and Astroworld head, similar to the image of the album cover. He exceeded expectations and left the crowd wanting more even after his extremely long set. If you want to experience this for yourself, Scott comes back to D.C. on March 12.

0
0
Bennett Wright, Staff Writer

Bennett Wright is a senior at Walter Johnson who is very interested in music and just exploring the way the world works and how it can be changed for the...