“Split” Movie Sequel: “Glass”

The main character of Glass: James McAvoy speaking at the 2015 San Diego Comic Con International. McAvoy spoke about previous movie X-Men: Apocalypse.
Photo courtesy of Gage Skidmore
The main character of Glass: James McAvoy speaking at the 2015 San Diego Comic Con International. McAvoy spoke about previous movie “X-Men: Apocalypse.”

The release of the movie Glass on January 18 had viewers left either satisfied or utterly confused. Glass is a sequel based off the movie Split. Although the storyline was similar to that of Split, director M. Night Shyamalan created a slight twist.

Split is a story that revolved solely around character Kevin Wendell Crumb, played by James McAvoy possessing multiple personalities, kidnapping high school girls and unleashing “The Beast” on them. This was one of Crumb’s many personalities, a specific personality trait gave him unimaginable strength. He is able to flip cars, break through doors and even climb on walls. This was the main story of Split: awaiting Crumb to unleash his beastly form. Then Glass became a story of a man named Mr. Glass. He is a new character who bears osteoporosis, yet he still has his own unique superpower: brains. He thinks of every outcome of every situation and manipulates every action so the aftermath will be in his favor.

Along with character Glass, David Dunn (Bruce Willis) is another newly introduced important figure in this movie. He too has his own superpower. Unlike Glass, Dunn is similar to Crumb in the sense that they both have unimaginable strength, but they differ in the fact that Dunn does not contain the multiple personality defect Crumb has. His motive is to save the kidnapped teenage girls and relieve them of their captivity.

“I thought ‘Glass’ was a good spin on the original movie. They brought back the main characters from the previous movie, really tying the story together as a whole,” junior Aaron Bazawada said.

Many of the viewers did enjoy the twist in the meaning of the story for this movie, but others not as much.

“I didn’t really like ‘Glass’ all that much. It had a lot of action continuously throughout the movie, but it just didn’t really make sense. The new characters weren’t really explained until the end, so I was mostly just confused throughout the story,” sophomore Matthew Roman said.

These new characters were not explained in terms of how they got their powers until close to the end. Therefore, to enjoy this movie, takes patience and understanding.

“Throughout more than half of the movie, I was so confused as to what was going on. I didn’t watch the first movie, but I had my friends explain everything to me. When I watched ‘Glass,’ I was very confused. The new characters were so random and were not described at all until the end,” junior Baasil Saleh said.

Although this may not be the most groundbreaking movie of the year, and despite its mediocre rating (37% critic score, 74% audience score),  I would still recommend watching this movie.

1
1