Not Your Typical Future Plans: Getting a Job

After graduating from high school, many students go to college, but for some, it isn’t the right place. Senior Max Munroe has chosen to go directly into the workforce after graduating, working at Trader Joe’s full-time as he has since July 2008.

“College isn’t for everyone even though most people in this area are raised with that idea in their heads,” said Munroe. “I always looked forward to making my own money so it seems like the next logical step.”

Munroe has been working almost forty hours a week for the past few months and hopes to get a managing position once he has graduated.

At first, Munroe had some trouble finding a job that he was interested in. When Munroe asked around if people were hiring, he ran into a few unfriendly managers. He even looked on Craigslist, but nothing caught his attention. Finally, last summer, Munroe’s father asked Trader Joe’s to give him a job, and he got it.

Interviews are usually a fairly complicated process, but for Munroe, it went by without any problems.

“I don’t recall having to do any real interview for Trader Joe’s which I thought was a little strange,” he said. “I pretty much gave them my application, answered one or two questions and got it.”

Jobs have become much more scarce and Munroe sees many people every day asking if Trader Joe’s is hiring. Munroe’s main goal is to get up to a manager’s position and he plans on accomplishing this by working hard.

“To get a higher position at my current job I plan to work as hard as I possibly can and take any and all hours they are willing to give me, which include shifts starting anywhere from 4:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.,” said Munroe.

In a year, Munroe hopes to make enough money to support himself and be out on his own.

“I’m not sure if I will still be at the same job but I will be working,” said Munroe.

0
0