10 Ways to Make Your Summer Count…. SSL Opportunities

Having trouble reaching 75 hours in time? Have no fear! We’ve narrowed your list down to 10 great volunteer opportunities.

1. Habitat for Humanity of Montgomery County. Not only is building houses for homeless people praiseworthy, but it’s a great way to wrack up the hours over the summer… while feeling good about yourself. How to reach: call Emily Hoban at 301-990-0014, visit www.habitat-mc.org or take a trip to 9110 Gaither Road, Gaithersburg. Also remember that you can always check out the club here at school. Minimum age: unspecified.

2. A Wider Circle. This volunteer opportunity works one-on-one with individuals and families, with the goal to help them avoid poverty. How to reach: call the volunteer center at 301-608-3504 or visit www.awidercircle.org. Locations in Bethesda and Washington, DC. Minimum age w/out adult: 16.

3. Adventure Theatre. For our theatre-oriented readers, this non-profit organization puts on performances, classes, and community outreach programs intended to enrich the lives of children and their families. How to reach: call Michael J. Bobbitt at 301-634-2270, visit www.adventuretheatre.org or take a trip to 7300 MacArthur Blvd, Glen Echo. Minimum age w/out adult: 13.

4. Audubon Naturalist Society. With a mission statement dedicated to educating citizens about the natural world, this commendable organization promotes the conservation of our environment. Student volunteering opportunities include working on the summer camp program, internships, and working on grounds maintenance tasks. How to reach: call Liz Jones at 301-652-9188×30, visit www.audubonnaturalist.org or take a trip to 8940 Jones Mill Road, Chevy Chase. Minimum age w/out adult: 14.

5. Bethesda Community Base Ball Club (Bethesda Big Train). Big on the outdoors? Love a great baseball game? Explore the Bethesda Big Train for a variety of jobs ranging from concession stand working, to ticket selling, to announcing. How to reach: call Bill Hickman at 301-983-1006, visit www.bigtrain.org or take a trip to Shirly Povich Field in Cabin John Park. Minimum age w/out adult: 12.

6. Bethesda Health & Rehabilitation Center. Volunteers at this center are expected to provide one on one visits with residents, help with meal set up and service, file, and help with fundraisers and community events. How to reach: call Juanell Glotzbach at 301-530-1600×2197, or take a trip to 5721 Grosvenor Lane, Bethesda. Minimum age w/out adult: 12.

7. The Opportunity Shop. This thrift shop is perfect for shop-a-holic’s who enjoy a good deal and the feeling of philanthropy. Profits go to charities in the local area, including St. John’s Norwood outreach program, Montgomery Hospice, Second Genesis and more. How to reach: call the volunteer center at 301-654-4999, visit www.stjohnsnorwood.org/opshop or take a trip to 4504 Walsh Street, Chevy Chase. Minimum age w/out adult: 11.

8. Bikes For The World. The mission: collect unwanted bikes and deliver them to non-profit agencies around the world. Volunteer opportunities for high school students include mechanics, working at donation sites, and more. How to reach: call Mike McMillion at 301-461-5349, visit www.bikesfortheworld.org or take a trip to King farm Homestead Park in Rockville. Minimum age w/out adult: 12.

9. Manna Food Center. Students can help by packing boxes of food on a periodic basis. How to reach: call a volunteer coordinator at 301-424-1130, visit www.mannafood.org or take a trip to 614 Lofstrand Lane, Rockville. Minimum age w/out adult: unspecified.

10. Interfaith Clothing Center. Anybody who wants feel first hand the joy of giving will no doubt want to check out ICC, a program that distributes donated clothing, household goods, school supplies and more completely free of charge to needy citizens of Montgomery County. How to reach: call the volunteer center at 301-424-3796, visit www.iworksmc.org or take a trip to 751 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville. Minimum age w/out adult: unspecified.

For a longer list of SSL opportunities, as well as an explanation on how to fill out SSL hour forms, visit http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/wjhs/ssl/ or http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgtmpl.asp?url=/Content/Volunteer/ssl.asp .

0
0