• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Juniors running for SGA positions

Courtesy of Ellie Hilton
Hilton advertises her campaign in classrooms allowing her to get the word out to students.

Second semester begins and so does the race. All grades are beginning their campaigns to run for their class government. But for juniors, this race is even more important; not only are they running for class office, but some are also running for student government.

While running for student government is a universal happening that occurs all over the country no matter what grade level, highschoolers have more responsibilities when it comes to playing their roles and achieving their goals for the school and student body.

“WJ always has more room for change and I want to make it a better place alongside like minded officers,” SGA secretary candidate Shiima Nantulya said.

With giving students the opportunity to have a voice, comes the voice itself. Campaigns, getting the word out and staying involved with the student body and events held by the school are all needed in order to get voters.

“I made an Instagram to campaign and I am working on campaign videos with current SGA members,” SGA vice president candidate Ellie Hilton said.

In classrooms, some teachers have allowed candidates to promote their campaign by writing on their white boards or hanging signs. But for the most part, social media is the most popular way to get the word out about campaigns and getting to know the candidates in an impersonal manner. Sharing fun facts, re-posting current SGA events and other school events in order to show their spirit for the school can also be seen on their social media.

Being involved with the school is a really important part of campaigning. Not only attending sports events and special activities, but also being a part of teams and clubs and in doing so meeting students of all grades and getting to know peers.

“I have become friends with people who are now my best friends. I think being in these leadership situations and activities has helped me become organized while running my campaign,” Hilton said.

As the days and weeks go by after announcing their campaign, candidates watch the clock waiting for April 6 to come around for the ballots to begin coming in and students need to make a decision on who they want to be their voice.

“I’m definitely nervous for the results but I’m trying my hardest to put my campaign out there and get as many voters as possible,” SGA president candidate Yness Seidnaly said.

Voting will take place April 4 for all grades along with the student government voting in which all grades participate in voting for candidates of the senior class that will represent the entirety of the student body.

0
0