Long term chemistry teacher turns to tech

Photo by Becca Freda
Technology teacher Mike Bauer cuts wood into blocks for an upcoming project using a wood chopper. “We are going to be making cars and racing them down a ramp; should be super fun and I am very excited to get into woodworking with the students,” Bauer said.

Electron microscopes, FTIR machines and mass spectrometers. What do all these things have in common? All these things are technology applied in chemistry, two subjects that WJ teacher Mike Bauer is very passionate about.

When students around Walter Johnson hear the name Mr. Bauer, they think of the chemistry teacher. What many students do not know is that the 20-year-long chemistry teacher has recently switched to teaching technology.

Bauer gained interest in chemistry at a young age by watching the show ‘MacGyver.’ What intrigued him about the show was that it had a combination of comedy and chemistry that created an entertaining program for children.

“He was always mixing stuff and did pretty explosions and had to get out of jams,” Bauer said.
Not only did Bauer invest in chemistry in his childhood, but he also grew up around technology and woodworking.

“As a kid I spent a lot of my summers on construction sites. So I just grew up around these tools and it’s my hobby as well,” Bauer said.

After years of pursuing chemistry, Bauer decided to switch his teaching career to technology.

“I think he would be a good tech teacher because he has a skill for explaining directions in a way that makes sense to everyone,” senior Maggie Cullen-Ising said.

When adored technology teacher Thomas Martin retired, Bauer saw the open position as an opportunity for a new chapter of life. A less intense class, simpler content and hands-on projects were all reasons Bauer decided to make the switch.

“I’m very excited to do project-based activities that are a little bit more long term like you can actually make something usable,” Bauer said.

Bauers switch in subjects was not a shock to a lot of his fellow teachers at WJ. “I was not surprised about his subject change. He has always been very handy and had a passion for woodworking, so it just made sense for him to switch,” a Walter Johnson chemistry teacher said.

Along with chemical explosions and creating a chair using wood, Bauer has many other hobbies. Bauer grew up running cross country, and is part of why he became so close with Martin, WJ cross-country coach and tech teacher. While Bauer has yet to take a cross-country based job, the possibilities are endless for the curious teacher.

“If I could have any other job at WJ it would be a gym teacher. It would be so neat to teach students the art of exercise and be able to work out while teaching.” Bauer said.

Although Bauer will miss doing demonstrations of how to make a volcano in a classroom, he is excited to start this new journey in his teaching career.

“I saw the opportunity and I took it. I thought, ‘Why would I be teaching chemistry when I can teach technology?’” Bauer said.

6
0