Students share their favorite costumes

Photo Courtesy of Lyn Mckaig
Senior Lyn Mckaig poses with her dog before going trick-or-treating together. “It was such a fun experience to bring my dog with me on Halloween night,” Mckaig said.

Oct. 31, Halloween. A day where children all over the world dress up in their favorite costumes, run around their neighborhoods, trick or treat and most importantly have fun. Some people are very focused on the treat part of Halloween, but for some students at Walter Johnson, Halloween is all about the costumes

Picking out a costume is difficult. Should you go as a princess, cartoon character, favorite athlete, or zombie? Having to choose a costume you love while also being at least a little bit creative is tough for a lot of people. The month of October should be about getting excited for Halloween, not stressing about a costume. Next time you or someone you know is stressing out about finding a Halloween costume, look no further. Here are some of WJ students’ favorite costumes they have worn.

Many times when you think of a superhero costume, you think of the basic Batman or Spiderman costume. But Senior Lyn Mckaig had a different idea. “I went as Wonder Woman with my dog. It was my favorite costume I’ve ever worn because I got to dress as my favorite superhero and look cute with my dog. It was truly the best of both worlds!” Mckaig said.

Mckaig loves wearing matching costumes with her friends and family. This year she is going as a stormtrooper with her best friend. “I love doing costumes with people I love, or animals! I think it’s such a fun way of bonding and showing everyone your love for each other
through clothing,” Mckaig said.

Other students took a different approach on Halloween. Freshman Liam Pickett went as an inflatable gorilla one year because he loved the idea of bringing joy to others on Halloween night. “I wanted to go as the gorilla because I thought it was funny and I wanted people to open their doors on Halloween and get a good laugh in. You don’t have to look cute to have fun on Halloween. Nobody could even see my face and it was the best Halloween ever!” Pickett said.

You could dress up in a twin costume like Mckaig, a funny costume like Pickett, or take a more symbolic approach to the holiday like sophomore Koji Kirby did. Kirby decided to take the meaningful approach on the 31st, going as his school mascot; a scarecrow. “Because I was in 5th grade and it was my last year at my Elementary school, I wanted to show my appreciation for the school by dressing up as our mascot,” Kirby said.

No matter if you want to dress up with your best friend, represent your school, or make people laugh, any costume is great! Halloween is all about having fun, and not stressing about a costume. Have fun, eat candy and embrace your inner self.

1
0