Seniors consider college majors

Photo by Hillevi Schine
College counselor Gayle Evans displays banners of Maryland colleges in her office. Evans assists seniors with choosing the right major.

As high school seniors stand at the crossroads of their academic journey, they face a crucial decision that will shape their futures. The question of “what major should I choose?” consumes the minds of all students planning on going to college. It is a question that resonates through countless conversations and sleepless nights. In the evolving environment of education and the job market, high school seniors are making choices that extend far beyond their academic interests.

There is a huge diversity of majors that students can choose from and each student has a different criteria on how to choose what path is best for them. For example, senior Bradly West is interested in majoring in jazz performance.

“I’ve been playing drumsticks for about six years. After college I want to be a performing musician for a little bit and then I want to teach jazz, so it will help me do that,” West said.

It is important to think ahead when thinking about what you want to major in. Starting to prepare early will help you get into and succeed in your major later. Senior Eliana Nastase has been preparing to major in biophysics by getting herself involved in the STEM community at Walter Johnson.

“Right now I’m taking molecular biology, AP physics and am just trying to get as much experience as possible,” Nastase said.

Choosing a major in college is a critical step in the journey to your future career. It allows you to explore your interests and gain experience, which ultimately helps you decide what your professional aspirations are. Exploring a specific field of study gives you a deeper understanding of its potential career opportunities and guides you towards a more informed future career choice. Senior Elisa Hussey is planning on majoring in production design.

“I want to work in the movie industry. In college, I will be doing a lot of research on how to make sets that are very specific to a time period or a characteristic that would bring the rest of the plot and the writing together,” Hussey said. “If I do go to [Savannah College of Art and Design], which is my top school, they have a lot of connections to really big companies so I’m hoping they can help me make the jump [from college to a real job].”

Choosing a college major is a big moment for high school seniors as they step into higher education. It’s a chance to match their interests, career goals and strengths. While it might feel overwhelming, it’s a part of the journey of growth that college brings. Students should approach this choice with purpose, knowing it sets the foundation for future success and happiness. In the end, picking a major is a strong commitment to a brighter future and opens the door to exciting opportunities ahead.

3
0