Students and staff embark on plans for Thanksgiving

Courtesy StockSnap.io
Thanksgiving is celebrated all over the US every year. Students and staff gather with family and friends to celebrate and reflect on their year so far.

As the leaves start to fall and turn shades of gold and burgundy, students and staff prepare for Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving) to roll around. Many look forward to this break as it’s a needed one that helps kick off the second quarter and helps students reset. Thanksgiving is traditionally celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November as families and friends gather to celebrate with food and create memories that will last forever.

Holidays are also a time for some families to revisit past traditions that they’ve created with friends.

“Every year my family and a bunch of our family friends get together and have a football game on Thanksgiving morning. There’s always donuts and hot chocolate and it’s super fun,” junior Maddie Elgin said.

On the other hand some students travel for Thanksgiving, giving them a “mini” vacation.

“I am going to North Carolina to visit some family and probably gonna eat some turkey,” sophomore Amikea Mercado said.

Other students have family coming to them, and siblings returning from college.

“My cousins are coming to visit for the first time since COVID and we will celebrate Thanksgiving together at my house. It is also the first time that my brother will be home from his freshman year in college,” junior Hannah Schmidt said.

As for staff, they prepare for their families to come into town.

“I am hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year. My parents are coming in town, too,” English teacher Bonnie Lechner said.

The week of Thanksgiving, MPCS set Monday and Tuesday as half days, with the rest of the week off. This schedule has been incorporated in past school year calendars, including this year’s, which allocates time for teachers to hold parent-teacher conferences. Some students find that two half days are unnecessary.

“Instead of two half days, they should give us a full day off. It wastes too much time doing half days,” junior Dan Yaniv said.

Overall, many are excited for the break to relax and spend time with those close to them.

“I’m excited for Thanksgiving break because I will have some free time to finish up my college applications. I also like spending Thanksgiving with friends and family and enjoying great food with them,” senior Bradley West said.

1
0