Q & A: Golf co-captain Fannie Sukhumparnich’s 10 years of success

Courtesy Fannie Sukhumparnich
Senior Fannie Sukhumparnich is one of the captains of the WJ Golf Team. This year, she won fifth place in the Maryland Golf Championship Individual Girls event. “It was nice to see my friends there. Golf allows me to connect with many people,” Sukhumparnich said.

Senior Fannie Sukhumparnich is one of the captains of the golf team. Golf has been an essential part of Sukhumparnich’s life, and this Q & A reveals the connections she has built through playing.

Q: When did you start playing golf?

A: I started playing golf almost ten years ago. At that time, I was living in California. I picked it up because my parents played golf when they were younger, and they wanted me to play so that we could play together. When I first started, I took lessons at an academy, and then after a year or two, I started playing in tournaments.

Q: When did you join the golf team here at WJ?

A: I joined as a freshman. My first season was shortened because of Covid, but it was nice to be able to see my teammates in person.

Q: What is it like being the captain of the team? Has anything changed?

A: I don’t see myself too much as a captain just because I think golf teams are a little different from other sports teams. We still play individually although we are a team together. I try to use my experience to help the younger players. I feel like my teammates have been more comfortable talking to me ever since I became captain.

Q: How much practice do you have every week?

A: I practice from Tuesday to Friday, and occasionally on the weekend. Each practice is around 1-2 hours.

Q: Do you have a routine or something that gets you to feel ready before matches?

A: I like to listen to music that gives me energy and motivation.

Q: How has golf influenced your life?

A: When playing any sport, you have to build up skills, so I learned the importance of feeling and being prepared. I have also learned how to balance extracurriculars and academics. The most important part of golf is the mental aspect because you are doing this individually and you’re on your own.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about playing golf?

A: Playing golf allowed me to meet people. In between shots, you have time to talk with your playing partners and get to know them more. I learned so much from them. I got to connect with other people through golf.

Q: What have been some of your challenges when you play golf?

A: There have been times when I am in a slump and you just have to break free from the negative mentality. Even when you’re playing, you have to change your mindset and keep working hard. Talking to people around me like my friends, family, and coaches helps me because they have also experienced something like this, even if it may not be with golf. I get a lot of advice from them.

Q: What has been your favorite moment?

A: This year’s states. It was my last year so it was nice to see all my friends.

Q: Do you plan to continue playing in college?

A: It’s something I hope to do but it’s very difficult. For me, academics are always first, but golf teams are also a factor when I research colleges. I like the relationships I can build with teammates and coaches.

2
0