Wildcats go Ivy: What it takes to join the big leagues

Courtesy Jasmine Wu
Getting accepted into UPenn is not common, and is a very impressive achievement. “I was surprised that I got in; seeing that acceptance packet was one of the best moments of my life,” Wu said.

With college acceptances coming out, the class of 2024 is experiencing incredible accomplishments regarding where they will spend the next four years and continue their educational journeys. While there are numerous prestigious colleges in America, there are eight that really catch people’s eye: the Ivys. These eight universities are extremely difficult to get accepted into. All of them require high GPAs, vigorous courseloads and numerous extracurriculars, but this year, students who have excelled at WJ have earned a place among the nation’s best.

Senior Jasmine Wu is continuing her academic career at the University of Pennsylvania where she will study computer science.

“I chose UPenn because I love how it is in the heart of the city. I instantly fell in love with the food scene, [the] friendliness of people there, and the overall energy and environment,” Wu said.

Ivy or not, choosing a college is an extremely complicated decision for every high school senior. However, for Hannah Magino, the decision was a little bit easier.

“What initially drew me towards Brown was the open curriculum which would allow me to be independent with my own education pathway. At Brown, I can immerse myself in classes I believe fit what I want to pursue later in life, which is just what I wanted,” Magino said.

While Wu and Magino will have to learn to live in the city, senior Jake Kim has chosen an Ivy in a more suburban area: Ithaca, New York.

“I chose Cornell. I am looking forward to the rigorous academic experience and the beautiful scenery on campus,” Kim said.
Getting into an Ivy League school takes a lot of time, preparation and perseverance.

“For my UPenn application, I had to write a ‘why major’ essay, community essay and [a] gratitude essay,” Wu said.

Preparation does not only include writing nerve-racking essays, but also being an active member of a variety of clubs, honors societies and having excellent teacher recommendations.

Applying to such prestigious schools takes lots of courage and willpower, but Wu, Kim and Magiano all had special motivation and drive to encourage them to take this step.

“My family was a big influence when deciding to apply to Ivy. Their story of immigrating to the US and working multiple jobs to reach success has always motivated me to push myself. When applying for college, I had the academics to apply, I just needed a leap of faith,” Magino said.

Many people see Ivy League schools as boring and too focused on academics, but in reality, many have a perfect balance between academics and social life.
“I really like the social scene at UPenn, and it is said to be the best party Ivy!” Wu said. With many of Ivy’s being located in colder parts of the US, many utilize their ice hockey team as a social event and as an opportunity for students to integrate themselves into the new environment.
“I am most excited about meeting new peers from diverse backgrounds, and from abroad,” Kim said.
These three students pushed themselves, beat all odds and stayed motivated. Their experiences show that hard work pays off, and if you put your mind to something, it can be achieved.

0
0