What is the best season to have a birthday?

Rhea Noumair
Students debate over the best season to have a birthday.

It’s finally that time of the year again: snow is falling, big puffer coats are emerging from hibernation in the back of the closet, fires are crackling in the living room. Maybe you’re more excited for when flowers begin to bloom, the trees turn leafy and green and the birds sing. Maybe you’re anxiously awaiting to swim in a pool on a hot summer day, or take in the warm colors of the leaves falling in autumn. However, there’s one special day that can make anyone especially infatuated with signs of the arrival of a long-awaited season: their birthday.

Everyone looks forward to their birthday in some capacity. The excitement you share with your family over growing up, looking back through old memories of childhood parties and celebrations, and even hearing people acknowledge you with a caring “Happy birthday!” never fails to make it memorable. On the other hand, some people seem to feel as though experiencing the characteristics of the season in which they were born adds to the unforgettable nostalgia and excitement of a birthday.

“My birthday is in July and I enjoy the warm feeling of summer,” senior Matthew Martinez said.

Contrarily, others may be more appreciative of the climate and surroundings in seasons that their birthday isn’t in, and have a different take.

“The best season to have a birthday is autumn because the weather is perfect and trees are so nice when they are red and orange,” spring-born sophomore Ben Trachtenberg said.

Some people also associate seasonal events with their birthdays, which can also add to the excitement. As someone with a birthday in December, I tend to associate my birthday with the holiday season and all that accompanies it: holiday music, gift-giving, extravagant light decorations outside people’s homes and an overall feeling of warmth from other people, despite the increasingly cold weather. I feel that the holidays make my birthday even more exciting, so I would pick winter to be the best season for a birthday.

“I like that I’m able to do activities outside for my birthday since the weather is so nice, and that my friends also have more free time so that we can hang out for longer and go to places further away,” Martinez said. Something people consider very important is whether or not their friends will be around for their birthday, which poses a conflict with the idea of a summer birthday.

“I think spring would be the best month to have a birthday because everyone’s around then to celebrate,” sophomore Naveh Cohn said.

Generally, people appreciate summer birthdays because they associate it with being free of school and homework, meaning that they can spend the entire day doing what they please. However, a summer birthday isn’t the same if your favorite people aren’t in town to spend it with you.

“I think summer would be the best season to have a birthday, but specifically in July because it’s not too early or too late when people are likely going on vacation or are at camp,” freshman Kat Pauw said.

A number of factors impact people’s opinions about when the best season to have a birthday is. Some may choose whenever they were born because of factors they attribute to the timing of their birthday, or because of the emotional nostalgia they’ve carried with that season as a result of their birthday. However, others may prefer different seasons from the season of their birthday because they like different climates better, and appreciate the timing of being on a school break or something else. Thus, there may not be just one season that is best suited for a birthday and everyone has a different opinion.

0
0