Powderpuff: The tradition where anyone can dominate the football field

Photo courtesy of Sanir Byanjankar
The last Powderpuff to occur was two years ago, in the spring of 2022. Since the game didn’t occur last year, players on both the senior and junior teams will be participating in the tradition for the very first time.

After two years without the classic high school tradition, Powderpuff is finally making its return to WJ in the spring of 2024. Though the information and details on the game are limited, students are ecstatic to participate in the game. Perfectly combining both competitive and fun elements, Powderpuff is an essential high school tradition that everyone is excited to see make its comeback.
The game allows junior and senior girls to face off in a, what’s intended to be friendly, game of flag football. Though it sounds great in theory, issues with the game have occurred in the past including recurring injuries, overcompetitiveness, and scheduling struggles.
“It’s a super fun senior tradition that everyone missed last year. The reason the game didn’t occur is because the senior class officers didn’t want to plan it,” senior Reagan McGuire said.
Things are different this year though as the SGA has decided, in everybody’s favor, to make a comeback with the classic high school tradition. Students could sign up through a Google form which included information on athletic experience, commitment, desired position and more.
“When the sign-up came out, the word got out really quick and everybody was super urgent to get their name in. I think the enthusiasm for the game was expected, but it also isn’t very good because [the SGA] can’t take everyone,” junior Carly Hangliter said.
Beyond the 25 girls that will be selected for each team, some of the actual WJ football players are going to be able to help with Powderpuff by coaching their grade level. The coaches were carefully selected due to their performance on the football team and experience with the sport because they are going to have to help the Powderpuff players understand and learn the game.
“I think I am most excited seeing girls play the sport that I play. This is the only opportunity for girls to play football. It should be fun to watch,” senior Nick Zampardi said.
As spring nears closer and closer, more details regarding the game will be settled and released. But until then, the anticipation of students will only build more and more, making the game even more exciting for everyone and a huge activity for people to look forward to.
“I am very excited for the game and hope I get picked to play, but I feel like the juniors are definitely going to lose. No matter what the outcome is, I’m very happy to see this tradition return to WJ,” Hangliter said.

1
0