Controversy surrounds Supreme Court nominee

Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s hearing to confirm him to the Supreme Court has been delayed due to sexual misconduct allegations. A second accuser recently made allegations that Kavanaugh exposed himself to her at a party.
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

In the wake of then-Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s announcement to step down from his position at the end of July, President Donald Trump was responsible obligated to appoint a new justice to the Supreme Court for the second time in his presidency. He hardly made waves with his nomination, the Court of Appeals Judge Brett Kavanaugh. Raised in Bethesda, MD, Kavanaugh seemed to be the most predictable choice. Yet, similar to many authority figures involved in the Trump administration, Kavanaugh soon became the center of controversy.

On Sept. 16, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford publicly claimed that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when they were teenagers, back in 1982 while Kavanaugh still attendinged local private High School Georgetown Prep.

Initially, Ford decided not to disclose her identity. This move was criticized by many Republicans, who believed the claims were fabricated. Three days later, Ford’s identity was made public, although Kavanaugh vehemently denied all accusations.

“This is a completely false allegation,” Kavanaugh said. “I have never done anything like what the accuser describes—to her or to anyone. Because this never happened, I had no idea who was making this accusation until she identified herself yesterday.”

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley has set a deadline for Ford. She had until 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 21 to decide whether she wants to testify. Ford made her decision over 24 hours before, on Thursday, Sept. 20. She will testify at Kavanaugh’s hearing on Thursday, Sept. 27

There are undoubtedly many who are desperate for the Judiciary Committee to take heed of Ford’s allegations. One of those individuals is sophomore Santino Calcagno, who firmly believes that the fact that Kavanaugh was only 17 at the time of the alleged incident should be overlooked.

“I personally don’t forgive that type of behavior, no matter at what age. I believe that everyone makes mistakes, but a mistake that severe is very tough to be forgiven,” Calcagno said.

If he is found guilty, then his appointment will surely be jeopardized. However, that is most likely only if he is found guilty, something which an anonymous student was keen to emphasize.

“The allegations don’t disturb me at all as of right now,” the anonymous source said. “I am a strong believer in ‘innocent until proven guilty’, and I won’t consider him anything other than innocent until he’s proven otherwise.”

Deborah Ramirez, who attended Yale with Kavanaugh complicated matters further with allegations that he exposed himself to her at a party.  The White House has claimed they are open to hearing from Ramirez at Kavanaugh’s hearing.

0
0