WJ students remain unimpressed about Apple’s new products

Shown+%28from+right%29+are+the+red+iPhone+8%2C+the+iPhone+XS+and+XS+Max+which+are+superficially+similar+to+the+current+iPhone+X.+
Photo by Rafael Friedlander.
Shown (from right) are the red iPhone 8, the iPhone XS and XS Max which are superficially similar to the current iPhone X.

Apple announced three new bezel-less models on September 12: the XS, the XS Max and the XR. At first glance, the XS appears to be identical to the current iPhone X. On the inside, however, the XS has the new A12 chip and a lot of small advancements in the photo, video, and playback areas. The XS Max is around the same size as the iPhone 8 Plus, but with the same bezel-less appearance as the other two.

As might be expected, all three use Face ID to unlock the phone. The XS and XS Max are the first iPhones to have the option of 512 gigabytes of storage. Apple has officially phased out their rose gold color, as none of the new iPhones come in that color. The XS Max is  the biggest iPhone ever made, with a screen measuring over six inches diagonally.

The XR is where Apple is making noticeable external changes. It is around the size of the XS, but only has one camera on the back, with the flash and microphone still oriented vertically. They are also bringing back some of the first colored iPhones since the iPhone 5C in 2013, with colors such as blue, yellow, coral, and (PRODUCT)RED. While the other two new iPhones have OLED displays, the XR gets an LCD one. It has less of a resistance to water, but still works with Qi wireless chargers. It also has an aluminum back, while other models use glass. The XR is also more affordable, clocking in at $749. The XS will be the same price as the X ($999), but the XS Max takes the cake with an astounding price tag of $1,099. The price tag seems excessive for many WJ students like junior Cooper Cibel.

“While it’s nice, it costs so much. I think Apple should start making faster phones that aren’t as advanced so they’re not as expensive. It’s better to have a fast working phone without all those tweaks and stuff. [It should be] good enough to serve its purpose and still be affordable,” Cibel said.

However, the new phone wasn’t the only product Apple announced. The Apple Watch is getting a fourth series that only improves upon the previous three. With 16 gigabytes of storage, the Apple Watch, starting at $399 is less reliant on the iPhone. It will have an improved gyroscope, accelerometer, and heart sensor. Apple is also continuing their partnership with Nike+ and Hermès for both more expensive and cheaper models of the Apple Watch Series 4.

Apple recently revealedthe highly anticipated iOS 12. Improving upon their augmented reality features, there will be Snapchat-esque camera filters and the highly demanded ability to FaceTime with up to 32 different people. The oldest iPhone to support iOS 12 will be the 5S.

Many WJ students such as senior Haley Pasquinelli, remain unimpressed with both the new innovations and the expensive price tag.

“Honestly, I don’t get why it’s such a big deal. I get it’s bigger and better,…I think it’s stupid that they make it bigger so more people will buy it,” Pasquinelli said.

Pasquinelli is not the only student who isn’t wowed by these major changes.

“I feel like, I mean, it’s not much of a difference, but that’s kind of normal, when you move from the ‘S phone’ to the ‘number phone,’ not that many changes happen, so it’s following the pattern” sophomore Avi Spector said.

These new products show that Apple is continuing to cater to the public’s growing demands for more technology with bigger phones with bigger price tags to match.

0
0