HJI 5k recap

The HJI foundation (Hayden’s Journey of Inspiration), was created in 2010, shortly after WJ graduate Hayden Zavareei underwent a life changing stem cell transplant at Duke University. The mission of the foundation is to provide housing for other kids who are being taken care of at Duke University’s hospital facilities. The HJI foundation hosts an annual 5K in Bethesda and a golf tournament in North Carolina to raise money for the housing of patients undergoing stem cell transplants. Zavareei’s foundation has successfully attained three apartments near the university that have been used by dozens of patients. Each of Zavareei’s homes were carefully renovated and decorated to minimize the risk of infection and to allow for maximum comfort for the families.

Junior Nick Rakis attended the race as a volunteer, along with some of his friends to help hand out water to the runners and set up the race.

“I always love volunteering at the HJI 5k, because it’s a fun way to contribute to this great cause, along with getting to spending quality time with my friends,” Rakis said.

The 2018 HJI 5K was last Sunday, Oct. 14, with a large turnout from WJ students, as well as families traveling from as far as North Carolina to come and participate.

0
0