WJ Alum Cal Thomas Talks About His High School Years

Cal Thomas, Walter Johnson graduate of ’60 and all around cool guy, answered some questions about what his high school reunion that he recently went to was like.

What was the atmosphere like?

Lots of stories about goofing-off and the troubles we gave some of our teachers and also regrets that we didn’t treat some of them better. “Do you remember when…?”

What was it like running into your old friends?

Some I had not seen since graduation. Time is gentle with some, less gentle with others. But when we were at WJ, the country was not confronted with many of the problems we now face. Most of us came from homes where are parents were still married and drugs you got at the pharmacy with a legal prescription. The few who broke the law were ostracized and most of us felt safe and secure in school with no alarms (other than for changing classes) and no “security” or fences. Having a common experience like school where you are forced to be with people for four or more years (some of us go back to primary — elementary — school) builds bonds that last. And so you catch up on career, children and grandchildren, but in your heart you will always be in high school. At least I will.

Did you see any of your old crushes?

I saw two women I took to two different proms (9th at North Bethesda Junior High, as it was called then and 12th at WJ). Had pictures made with both of them. Our “crushes” were fleeting and the one on whom I had the biggest crush wasn’t there. Probably best for both of us!

Any funny stories from the night?

Some I can’t tell!! We mostly told stories of cutting up in classes. I read headlines from the newspapers in 1959, ’60 and ’61, to show that some things never change. Also read some of the hit songs and most popular movies from that era.
Films didn’t have all the high tech stuff of today and the story lines were better. The music was more fun, too. Not as dark and mean as some of it is today. But then music reflects the times. I had duplicated a “Yearbook in Sound” album that a classmate and I recorded when we were 17 and gave it to all who came to the reunion. I had it remastered on a CD and new art work put with it. I gave a copy to Mr. Curran and if you wanted a picture of the cover I’m sure he would show it to you.

Is there anything else you want to share?

I think many of us might have made different choices if we knew then what we know now, but of course each generation thinks it is inventing the world for the first time. I was smart enough to ask people older than myself (with whom I worked most of my career until I became older!) what advice they would give me. They were all too happy to share that advice and I think I am better for it. If you want to know how good a restaurant is before eating there, you are wise to ask someone who has eaten there. and if you want a roadmap for life, ask some people you respect for directions! Why run off into a ditch? See my column in today’s Washington Examiner (washingtonexaminer.com). 50 years seems like forever when you are 17 0r 18, but it sneaks up on you and before you know it, you are your grandparents!! Time goes by at the same rate for us all and it produces what we invest in it. Invest wisely for the best return.

0
0