Tilly Talks: Social Life-less Studier

Joyce Mbogba, a stressed-out senior at WJ, frantically studies.
Photo Credit to Daniel Leonard
Dear Tilly,
I really need some advice. I feel like I am constantly studying and I have no social life. My studying is paying off academically, but is also having a negative effect on my friendships. When we finished the first quarter, I thought that I might be able to hang out with my friends more often now that we will have Thanksgiving and winter break during the second quarter. However, I am already embroiled in mountains of homework. Though I have managed to balance my classes thus far,  I haven’t even seen my friends for two or three weeks. My social life is not my first priority, but it is still important to me. How can I balance my academic commitments with my social life so that my grades do not suffer, but I still have friends?
Sincerely,
Social Life-less Studier

Dear Social Life-less Studier,

Managing a social life while still maintaining good grades is hard for any teenager. If you want to have more of a social life, then you have to ask yourself, “How badly do I want one?” If you really want a social life you have to be willing to let go of some things and do a better job managing your time.

Personally, I do all my homework during the week and all the weekend homework on Friday so I have time for my friends Saturday and Sunday. If I finish soon enough I usually get to hang out with them Friday too. Lunchtime during school is also a time you can hang with friends, and if you’re doing your homework then too, you’re way too busy. Having a social life, like anything, takes work.

Sincerely,
Tilly

0
0