WJSD continues on wave of success heading into championships

As the season nears its end for WJSD, the team looks to build upon their recent success. Last week at their divisional meet, both the boys’ and girls’ swim team each performed very well just one week ahead of one of their most important meets of the year, Metros. Unlike the divisional meet that WJSD participated in last week, the Metro Swimming Championships also feature local private schools, which have graduated several Olympic caliber swimmers in the past years. Schools such as Stone Ridge and Georgetown Prep, who are both in the meet, combined for two Olympic swimmers in this year’s Rio Olympics. But despite all of the talent that they are up against, with an undefeated girls’ team and a very young, talented boys’ team, junior Jacob Sorensen believes that WJSD can be still very competitive in this week’s upcoming meet.

“I think that our swimmers have had enough experience in high such high level, competitive meets in the past so that they won’t be too nervous to compete [at Metros] this weekend,” the third year varsity swimmer said.

The boys’ team, who won states two years ago in the 2014-15 campaign, is looking to gain crucial experience which could help them out in the future,

“I don’t think that we’re going to win Metros this year,” Sorensen said referring to the boys’ team who finished fifth at divisionals last week, “But I do think that [swimming at Metros] will give us some great experience so that we can be even more competitive at large meets like Metros in a couple years.”

As for the girls’ team, their time to compete is now. Graduating two of their top swimmers, Katie Ellett and Celine Nugent, after this year, the girls’ team is looking to finish among the top teams at Metros and then go on to avenge their loss at states last year to Sherwood.

“I think for the girls’ team, they are definitely going to do well at Metros,” Sorensen said. “They have some really talented swimmers who are capable of outswimming some of the best private schoolers around.”

Regardless of the outcome of Metro’s, both the boys’ and girls’ swim teams have made much improvement from last year to this year, and look to continue their success for the remainder of the season.

0
0