Athletes strive to bounce back stronger

Photo by Nicolas Opipari
Sophomore Evie Avillo sets up to attack a defender in a one-v-one. Avillo played center mid in the Wildcats game against the Gaithersburg Trojans, winning 8-1.

Girls varsity soccer goalkeeper Federica Gavelli struggled with a concussion mid-season. She went for the save on a shot but got kicked in the head during the follow-up shot. She continued playing but eventually wasn’t able to see anything in focus. She was pulled off, talked to the trainer and sat the rest of the game. After routine concussion testing, she was diagnosed with a minor concussion. With a head injury being very dangerous, Gavelli had to stay off electronics and rest until she was able to begin her recovery. She started her return to play protocol about a week later, which took another week.. After two solid weeks of mental and physical recovery, Gavelli is back in play and ready to come out stronger for playoffs.

The biggest struggle that athletes have is making sure they’re ready to come back when they can. For junior Devin Markert, a broken wrist has caused a pause in his football season.

“Attempting to workout with a cast can be unhygienic and not good for the healing process so I’ve had to avoid that for my entire injury,” Markert said.

While the emotional toll of an injury can be really detrimental, some can overcome it. Most high level athletes are able to overcome these obstacles.

“I think it’s more disappointing than anything. Nobody wants to be injured and not get to play the sport they love,” Markert said.

Temptation is a given when not being able to do what you love and most athletes come back too fast. Sophomore Evie Avillo hurt her ankle in the summer, came back a little too early, and hurt it again.

“I just feel like I have to be more cautious now when I play so I don’t hurt my ankle again,” Avillo said.

Support from family and friends is important but when you don’t receive it, you have to support yourself. While playing against BCC, junior Jack Potash dislocated his collarbone and has been out ever since.

“There was little to no support and you just have to focus on yourself and do what’s best for you when in an injury situation,” Potash said.

It’s hard to come back from season ending injuries but with the right mindset it can be done. With an injury comes future skills on how to recover.

“Stay motivated, keep working and most importantly not rush your recovery,” Markert said.

0
1