Catlax preps for spring season

Photo courtesy Natalya Krouse
The WJ girls’ lacrosse teams start training with the Power Train gym in Rockville. The team has been focusing on strength training to prepare for the upcoming season.

After returning from a regional championship in 2023, the girls’ varsity lacrosse team has started training to prepare for their upcoming season. Coach Christina Fitzpatrick has scheduled team weight room practice, outdoor training, a workout session at Power Train and entered a winter league to help train the team for another title run.

By scheduling weight room training, Fitzpatrick intends to help get the Cats into shape for the upcoming season. After school every Wednesday, the team meets in the weight room to work out arms, legs, abs and do cardio.

“I like the team weightlifting because it gives us a chance to bond with each other and stay fit,” senior Ava Redmond said.

Additionally, last year, the team voted to elect their captains for this year to have a smooth transition into the new spring season. Seniors Anna Zucconi and Natalya Krouse host captain’s practices during the offseason to help their teammates prepare for the season. During these practices, players work on stickwork, running, learning the basics, passing, footwork and cradling.

“Usually during these Tuesday practices we work on stick skills like wall ball, which help us get ready for the competition this season,” Krouse said.

Additionally, the Cats have entered a winter league, competing with other schools around the county to improve their skills before the season starts. The Cats have played hard this off-season in six winter league games and the captains have been big contributors to the success of the team due to their leadership role on the team.

“During Winter League [Zucconi] and [Krouse] have been really welcoming to all the girls coming in, and they’re always available to answer any questions,” junior Elsa Santighian said.

During their days off, the Cats are encouraged to train on their own in order to be in the best shape possible for this season. This might include going on runs, weightlifting or skills training like wall ball.

“The captains have been super active in encouraging coming to practice and working out on the side,” Santighian said.

Krouse also organized a training session at Power Train this past fall for the team to do together. Power Train is a gym in Rockville that focuses on athlete strength training. Here, their trainer gave them specific exercises that would benefit them best, like building quad, hamstring and abdominal strength.

“I think the team really benefited from the workout at Power Train. We got a good workout and were able to do it as a team,” Krouse said.

0
0