Caps skate, Wizards dribble into Virginia for 2028 arena plan

Courtesy Flickr
Fans fill up Capital One arena to cheer on their favorite local sports team. The Washington Capitals (and Washington Wizards) have played in this arena for 27 years, but soon this will no longer be where fans cheer for them.

On Dec. 13, Washington Capitals and Wizards owner Ted Leonsis announced that the teams will be relocated from the Capital One Arena in Washington, DC to the Potomac Yard neighborhood in Alexandria, Virginia in 2028. This was startling for Washington fans, as Capital One Arena has been home to the Capitals and Wizards since 1997.

Although not scheduled to occur for another four years, this transition is on everyone’s minds, wondering what the effect will be on the city’s energy and abundance of people every night. While DC has many attractions, sports games are one of the biggest sources of revenue.

“It sucks for DC. I was just there and it’s part of the vibe and culture of being in the city, and taking it out of DC ruins a lot and takes the Caps and Wizards away from its fans,” junior Max Epstein said.

Another large impact of this move is how it impacts frequent attenders of games at Capital One, along with season ticket owners. Capital One is relatively close to both Virginia and Maryland, especially by metro, but the location of the new arena is not easily accessible for many.

“I am a season ticket holder for the Caps and have been for many years but Alexandria is just inconvenient to travel to, so my family and I probably won’t renew our season tickets when the move happens,” senior Jordan Potash said.

One of the main reasons is money and the promise of jobs. According to WUSA9, the more than $2 billion development could bring around 30,000 permanent jobs to Virginia.

It is well-known that money is a pull factor in various circumstances, and transferring arenas for two loved sports teams is no different. However, although money is desirable, this move has still left everyone in shock.

“I was very surprised because I would have thought the owners would have cared about the fan base and not just about money,” Epstein said.

Most people are fans of the teams in the area they grew up in, and Washington is no different. Many fans have grown up loving the Capitals and Wizards and have even become involved in a sport because of the team they cherish so highly.

“Part of the reason I played basketball when I was younger was because of the Wizards. I would watch them on TV and wanted to be as good as them. I think they should stay in DC because that’s where all the lifelong fans are,” senior Patrick Mckaig said.

Although the news is unsettling, many focus on the positives, such as a fresh start for both teams. It is a chance to reset, and it will be interesting to see how the transition will impact teams before and during the first season.

“I wouldn’t consider myself a huge fan of either team but I enjoy attending at least one or two games a year. I for sure am looking forward to seeing what the new entertainment campus looks like,” sophomore Abby Koenig said.

1
0