• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Hockey Team Starts Season Ice Cold

After a disappointing 2007-2008 season where they failed to make the playoffs, WJ hockey is in rebuilding mode after losing a host of players to graduation and other factors. At 0-2-1 so far this season, the team relies on the leadership of the senior defense pairing of Daniel Cohen and Julia Simenauer this year. Last year, Cohen was named first team all-state. He will need to keep up his form from last year and the beginning of this year for the team to be successful.

“This season means everything to me,” said Cohen. “I’ve been lucky enough to play on some very good teams throughout high school, and I want to make sure I carry that success throughout the rest of my career. This could be my last chance to represent my school on the ice, and I want to make sure I make the most of my experience.”

Simenauer, one of two girls on the team, anchors the team’s defense alongside Cohen. Other key players are junior center Zach Abelman and sophomore center Vinnie Peratrovich, both of whom are top four on the team in scoring. All three recognize the challenges the team will face this year but they are ready for them.

“There are definitely gonna be teams with deeper benches that are difficult to compete with, but it’s important to stay focused on working as hard as possible every time we step onto the ice,” said Simenauer.

The team started out the season with a close 7-5 loss to Sherwood, but followed it up with a promising tie against B-CC. Due to their inexperience, four freshmen and sophomores play prominently, the team will have its ups and downs. As evidenced by their next game, a 10-2 loss to Magruder.

“Our freshmen all have potential to be great players once they learn the new, and faster game of high school hockey,” said Abelman. “We had players move up from JV last year that should be an asset to the team as we should have a deep bench.”

The team will look for their first win of the season today against Blake at Cabin John Ice Rink.

0
0