Gaithersburg Denies Girls Volleyball for Ninth Straight Win

It was a disappointing night for the varsity girls volleyball team as they fell to Gaithersburg in a highly anticipated match-up between the two undefeated teams. After four sets, the match was over, and Gaithersburg had won by a score of 25-9, 25-22, 21-25, 25-14.

After a tough first-set loss, the Wildcats bounced back to lead 21-20 late in the second set, however they failed to close out the set, losing their last five out of six points. The two teams split the final two sets, giving the Trojans a four set victory.

Although the loss hurts the team record-wise as they fall to 8-1, breaking their undeafeted streak, it changes their focus for the rest of the season.

“The one loss changes our point of view,” said junior mid Jennie Zelenko,  “It humbles us in a way and shows us that we’re not perfect.”

With just four seniors to lead the team, it proves that a flaw of the team is a lack of experience.

“As a team on a whole, experience is earned, it’s not just something that we can practice, and it takes time to gain it, but I do think we’ve done a great job so far this season,” said Zelenko.

The team will look to get back to winning fashion, with one of the biggest tests of the season on Wednesday, Oct. 22 against Rockville.

0
0