Wildcats fall to Seneca Valley

Photo by Sanir Byanjankar
Senior Christion Wright waits to defend his man as Seneca brings the ball up. The Wildcat’s record is now 6-9.

On Feb. 14 the boys’ basketball team faced the Seneca Valley eagles (12-8).

The Wildcats didn’t come out strong in the first quarter. They struggled to rebound on offense and weren’t protecting the paint while in a zone defense. This led to the Eagles getting easy buckets down low.

WJ corrected their mistakes to finish the first quarter. The Wildcats switched to man-to-man defense and were able to drive on offense. Junior Ian Hochman posted up in the paint and was able to get quick points. The first quarter ended 15-15.

Seneca Valleys’ post player was hard for the Wildcats to guard in the second quarter. The Eagles also played very strong on defense, WJ was unable to score in the first half of the quarter.

The Wildcats really picked it up to finish the second quarter. The Eagles tight defense allowed WJ to get open for threes, which they started hitting. They were able to take the lead to end the first half 29-26.

Both teams came out strong in the third quarter. Senior Dawson Carr was able to drive into the paint multiple times, but they struggled to get the offensive board again. Seneca Valley’s press didn’t face WJ.

“We gave up too many offensive rebounds and at points in the second half struggled to get a stop,” Hochman said.

Within the last few minutes of the third quarter the Eagles were able to take the lead. Seneca Valley was up four, 47-43.

In the fourth quarter, the Wildcats movement on offense and screens opened up players for three-pointers. Carr scored two three-pointers.

We were able to move the ball around much more effectively than in past games, making the extra pass on numerous occasions which was great to see,” junior Ben Kim said.

With two minutes left of the game, WJ was up one point. Under pressure, the Eagles showed up. The Wildcats were down three with only seconds left to tie the game, unable to get a shot off the game ended 58-55.

“Our struggles to close out games has been frustrating, but I think our last game was a step in the right direction in terms of playing team basketball which is what we’ll need in the playoffs,” Kim added.
The Wildcats conclude their regular season tomorrow against Damascus tomorrow.

0
0