Art department hosts annual Fine Art Festival

Student work of all levels was on view at the WJ art department’s annual Fine Art Festival in the Auxiliary Gym from April 30 to May 2. Open during school as well as in the evenings, the exhibition attracted students, families and community members.

The Art Festival is organized by the art department teachers, but students are responsible for picking out their work and preparing them for display. Every single art student of all levels participated, with the number of works each student displayed varying depending on the level of the course.

“I don’t usually share my photography much, so to see other people viewing it in a public place is pretty cool,” Photography 3 student junior Eric Hsu said. Hsu was able to feature a small collection of his best and favorite photographs.

3D art students set up their works on collective long tables, for lower-level classes, while AP students were each given their own individual station to set up. Students in 2D art classes hung their works on boards set up around the room. For AP art students, the Festival has added significance, as they are able to present an entire portfolio that has been in the works the entire year.

“As an AP student, I think [the art festival] is even more special since you have a whole table just for your work. People can see your whole body of work with a theme and a message behind it. With the lower class levels, the work can kind of get lost at a long table with everyone else’s work, but in AP you can really show it off,” AP Ceramics student senior Adena Nielsen said.

In most art classes, teachers gave their students a break from the classroom during the active days of the Art Festival to visit the Festival and admire other students’ work. “It’s great to see how talented the other students are,” Hsu said.

5
0