WJ girls soccer recap: 9/23/17 vs. Wheaton HS

WJ girls’ soccer continued on their path to greatness Saturday afternoon with a blowout win over Wheaton High School 5-0, with goals coming from a variety of players.

Senior forward Gabi Vogel opened the scoring five minutes into the game with a goal from the right side of the 18-yard box.

Only three minutes later, senior forward captain CJ Maloney made it 2-0 WJ after a slick feed from fellow senior forward captain, Michaela Anderson.

Shortly after Maloney’s goal, senior defender captain Nicole Lopez put WJ on the board once again.WJ’s defense stole the ball from a Wheaton midfielder and Lopez ended up with the ball about 20 yards from the goal. Without any hesitation, Lopez shot the ball into the top right corner, scoring an amazing goal.

The game went back and forth for the remainder of the first half, with WJ keeping a majority of the possession and Wheaton having the occasional attempt at an attack.

With only five minutes remaining in the first half, Wheaton began to get tired. Junior Katie Caggiano made the most of this opportunity and slotted a left foot shot from the box into the bottom corner of the goal past the outstretched arms of the Wheaton goalkeeper.

At halftime, WJ was dominating with a score of 4-0.  For most of the second half, WJ was on the defensive, just trying to keep the ball away from Wheaton and run down the clock.

In the second half, WJ had few opportunities but couldn’t capitalize until about two and a half minutes left in the game, when senior Lexi Shapiro sent a long shot towards the goal. The Wheaton goalie made a fantastic dive towards the ball, but couldn’t get there. The ball went off her fingertips and into the goal for the fifth and final goal for WJ.

WJ’s next match is against Winston Churchill HS on October 2. It’s at 7:15 p.m. and this is a conference game so it matters. Everyone should come out and watch!

0
    0