“The Night Agent” tops charts with political conspiracies and mystery

The inner working of the White House and its personnel are revealed in this fictional action thriller. Secret agencies and corrupt politicians flood the political landscape.
Photo courtesy Ted Eytan

With a large-scale government conspiracy, secret agencies, corrupt politicians and assassination attempts, “The Night Agent” premiered on Netflix on March 23, and became one of the fastest growing shows on the platform. A second season was ordered by Netflix just days after the airing of the first season.

The show tells an original and compelling story by creating multidimensional characters. Peter Sutherland (Gabriel Basso) is tasked with the most boring position in the FBI, the night shift in the secret “Night Action” agency. In other words, he’s a glorified 911 operator waiting for phone calls on the emergency line that never rings. In the first episode, however, it does ring. The caller is Rose Larkin (Luciane Buchanan), an ex-CEO who received the phone number from her aunt and uncle who have just been murdered by assassins, and Peter has to guide Rose’s escape.

With this entrance into a conspiracy deeper than anyone thought possible, we follow Peter and Rose on their journey to find out who they can really trust. While also trying to survive a pair of assassins, they discover and attempt to expose the political corruption that affects the entirety of the United States.

“The Night Agent” takes the idea of conspiracy in Washington D.C. politics on the federal level and crafts a plot based on the fictional “Night Action” program. There are some common tropes and conventions involved as with most shows, but they don’t make the show unbearable or unrealistic.

We see a lot of different characters mixed in with the storyline and as the show unfolds, the audience is trying to wrap their heads around how each one of them is involved as Sutherland and Larkin try to avoid a pair of assassins, police and potentially corrupt allies.

These ten episodes fly by and are a relatively easy watch. When it comes to the heavy influx of new shows all the time, “The Night Agent” is definitely worth the watch and a great title to add to the action-thriller genre.

1
0