Yo-Yoing At Its Finest

When most people discuss the world of competitive sports, it is safe to say that the sport of Yo-Yoing does not generally factor into the conversation.

This cannot be said, however, for junior Seth Gottlieb, the founder and president of WJ’s first-ever Yo-Yo club which was created at the beginning of this school year. At a standard meeting, which happens at lunch on the first Tuesday of every month, the club’s 38 members will practice different techniques for throwing diverse kinds of Yo-Yos.

“My Yo-Yo tricks are largely self-taught,” said Gottlieb. “It’s a lot of fun teaching other people the different skills that I’ve learned . . . [Many people like Yo-Yoing because it] is the only extreme sport you can carry around in your pocket.”

Some of these tricks include the “Walk the Dog,” “Sleeper,” “Around the World,” “Baby in the Cradle,” and the “Around the Corner.”

Gottlieb said that he has never heard of another Yo-Yo club at a different school, but he would like to foster more interest in Yo-Yoing throughout the WJ community. While some people might think that the creation of a Yo-Yo club is strange, Gottlieb said that he believes that most people view the club as, “quirky, but not unusual.”

“The club fosters creativity and friendship based on mutual interest,” said Gottlieb. “Because of the club there are now more people that I can share my interest with. It’s just good, clean fun.”

0
0