• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Honoring graduating senior club leaders at WJ

• Bake with Kindness: Beca Dytchwald President of Bake With Kindness, Beka Dychtwald was first inclined to join during her freshman year when she was offered cookies by the club. Months later, she decided to become more involved. She hopes to create a compassionate environment by working with the community to donate funds to those in need. “I love baking, and I appreciate that I get to do something I enjoy and make a difference…My goal is to make people’s days, if only, a little bit better with something sweet,” Dychtwald said.

• Mock Trial: Makis Manolis Makis Manolis joined Mock Trial with an eagerness to learn about how the law works and possibly be able to visit a courthouse. Now one of the co captains of Mock Trial, he enjoys mentoring new and younger members, educating them about legislation. “My favorite memory was eating at Potbelly after our trials,” Manolis said.

• Minority Scholars Program: Diane Juica Diane Juica has had a vision for the Minority Scholars Program since the 6th grade, when she first joined the club. Motivated by her 8th grade teacher, Juica visited MSP at Tilden, where she was inspired by the members of MSP encouraging one another to achieve larger goals, such as taking honors or AP classes. Now president of MSP, Juica has worked diligently to create an inclusive space where minority students can uplift and support each other. “The community that you build out of it is really great,” Juica said.

• Hispanic/Latin Heritage Club: Mariana Ramirez Lemus Mariana Lemus, president of the Hispanic Latin Culture Club has utilized her business and leadership skills to create a safe space where students can express their ideas, concerns, questions, while learning about what Latinos have contributed to this country through their culture and traditions. “ I will always remember the warmth and the love that this club opened up their arms to me and made me feel identified when I was a freshman…I hope that Latinos unite and become stronger and empowered by one another,” Lemus said.

• Science Olympiad: Silas Hultman In pursuit of like-minded science and technology interested peers, Silas Hultman entered the competitive environment of the Science Olympiad club. Now president of the club, he mentors other students, helping them hone their knowledge of science and technology and compete against other schools. “I would suggest that the next generation consider trying new subjects that they may not consider themselves interested in beforehand because it’s a great way to learn about new areas of interest that you may never have thought of,” Hultman said.

• Sources of Strength: Megan Fannon President of Sources of Strength, Megan Fannon strove for a leadership position in the club with the hopes of being able to help other students with their mental wellness and build connections with not only her peers, but with students from other schools as well. Through these connections, she works with the community to strive to prevent teen suicide and promote mental health. “My best personal advice is to keep supporting your friends and continuing reaching out to people you know that need help,” Fannon said.

• Ultimate Frisbee Program: Camila Veal Camila Veal, captain of WJ’s Ultimate Frisbee club, began playing frisbee in middle school. She has been a crucial member of the team throughout high school, leading the team through tournaments. “We are building a new foundation of new players and veteran players to take us far and then maybe one day go to nationals,” Veal said.

0
0