Seniors tailor schedules to optimize final year

Photo by Keira Poersch
Christopher Merrill lectures his 5th-period AP Human Geography class. This is a typical class for many seniors who choose to take a difficult courseload.

As seniors prepare for their last year, they need to first figure out how they will manage their workload. Many seniors took on multiple APs during their first three years and have now chosen to slow down for the final year. They want to cut down on note-taking and studying for exams thus taking only one or two rigorous classes.

Most seniors take mainly elective classes such as Ceramics or Child Development, while others decide to keep it up and take anywhere between two to four APs. Seniors either take the “harder” route and take a lot of challenging courses to impress colleges while completing applications or the “easier” route where students are ready to let loose, goof around and make the most of their last year.

Senior Maggie Cullen-Ising has been a hardworking student for as long as she can remember and stopping the grind the last year before college didn’t seem right. She’s taking AP Statistics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish and AP Lit this year. She’s also keeping herself busy by taking Law and Financial Mathematics. Cullen-Isings’ main focus this year will be keeping up on her assignments.

On the contrary, senior Dylan Notley decided to take it easy this year and only take two APs. “Super light schedule, super easy classes, only taking three difficult classes,” Notley said.

Another reason taking hard classes appeals to so many seniors is so they can continue learning about a specific topic which they show a strong interest in. Many seniors are studying in classes connected to their future majors to give themselves an extra boost before their freshman year of college.

Senior Oscar Knox is planning on giving himself a light schedule this year while also focusing on his progression in French.

“My schedule is pretty easy. Start with weight training, then French 6, AP Lit and AP Euro,” Knox said.
In the morning he starts with weight training where he can then go to French 6, AP Lit, and AP Euro. He is currently participating in several required afternoon classes to get his last necessary credits while also relaxing.

Senior Emma Lindsey is also interested in keeping her schedule busy and interactive. Her difficult classes like AP Environmental Science, AP Lit and AP Micro are in the morning. She then takes Child Development, Calc with Apps and Marketing and Hospitality. Having a packed schedule is normal for Lindsey and the flood of APs is manageable after three years.

Jessie Berkman would rather not challenge herself this year at all. “I have only two difficult classes and five electives,” Berkman said.

With only a couple of difficult classes, it is much easier to balance the workload and not feel overwhelmed.
As the year progresses, it’s expected all these seniors will continue to work hard in their classes while still giving themselves the time to make the best memories before graduation. Although some of these classes require more work time than others, plenty of schoolwide activities are offered to allow all seniors to thrive.

0
0