Jake’s Take: Alex Smith trade isn’t as bad as you think

Former Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith was recently traded to the Redskins. Smith is coming off an All-Pro season and lead his team to the postseason.

Last week, the Kansas City Chiefs traded their All-Pro quarterback Alex Smith to the Redskins for corner back Kendall Fuller. Smith lead the Chiefs to the division title last season and passed for over 4000 yards.

Smith spent the last five seasons in Kansas City leading them to 11 win seasons during  three of those years and making the playoffs four out of five years.  Smith  was also an All-Pro during three of his seasons in Kansas City.

Redskins fans are upset about this trade, mostly because current quarterback Kirk Cousins will not resign with the Redskins after three consistent seasons. Cousins lead the league in completion percentage three seasons ago, and had two winning seasons in Washington. He passed for over 4000 yards the past three years, and was 83 yards shy of 5000 in 2016. However, Redskins’ owner Dan Snyder is reluctant to give Cousins a possible historic long term contract reaching over $20 million, which would be the most expensive contract in NFL history.

Kendall Fuller, whom the Chiefs are getting in return, is just 22 years old. He broke out last year with over 40 tackles, and Redskins fans hoped he could be the corner of the future. Fuller tweeted out about the trade as he learned he would be going to Kansas City.

But this trade isn’t that bad. Fuller being traded is a disappointment, but Smith is a veteran who knows how to win. There was no way that Cousins was going to stay with Washington, especially when he was asking for a historic contract. Once they saw Smith was on the block, the Redskins had to go for it.

I admired Cousins and thought he was an exceptional quarterback, but Smith has flown under the radar. As long as the Redskins stay healthy and get a good wide receiver core, Smith can lead the team to their first playoff berth since RG3 tore his ACL, back in 2012.

1
0
View Comments (1)
$775
$1000