How young is too young for an iPhone?

Photo Courtesy of Pexels
The most common phone amongst teens is the iPhone. But at what age should kids start obtaining these devices?

Most would likely admit that it is unnerving when kids as young as eight get involved in the smartphone world. The first iPhone was introduced by Apple in 2007 and since then has taken over as one of the top smartphones. The device attracts the attention of many people, varying in age, but especially young kids who are still begging for a phone. Thus, the question arises: how young is too young to introduce a child to the world of smartphones?

Nearly every kid wants a smartphone, and that often means they want an iPhone. Additionally, the peer pressure to own one is a major reason.. There is no doubt that smartphones are influential devices that offer many benefits, but they can also cause some serious problems, especially for children with less responsibility.

We see stories everyday in the news about sexting, catfishing and cyberbullying that make it obvious why parents would be hesitant to allow their kids to be exposed to these threats.

We also have to notice that the social impacts of not having a phone are almost parallel to having one. Experts from the American Academy of Pediatrics caution that not allowing access to a phone for too long will cause social harm, as phones and social media are the main way that peers connect outside of activities like school, work and sports.

Many parents allow their kids to have phones for  the walk home from school that’s taken by themselves or when their child starts to work or participate in extracurricular activities. It is in these cases where a phone might be needed in order for the child to stay connected with the parent. But there are other times when it wouldn’t be the best idea for a young child to obtain a phone.

The smartphone has been one of the most impactful devices of our time by allowing music, maps and more game selections that has appealed to the youth. It opened our generation to a whole new world and will continue to do so in the future.

Maybe the question isn’t about age but rather about when the child is responsible enough. A child’s age is not as important as their social responsibility and matureness. Phones create a more social world that is convenient, informational and crucial to learn from, but if a child isn’t mature enough to handle the exposure, it might have bad effects on them in the future.

4
0