Girls volleyball season ends with first round loss

Photo courtesy of LifeTouch
Junior Wendy Liu demonstrates her dominance on the volleyball court with a powerful block. This show of strength is what makes her one of premier players on the team.

Like multiple other fall sports, the girls varsity volleyball season has come to a bittersweet end. While the nets and jerseys have been folded up and put away, the memories made throughout the season will stay with the players.

The girls had their first playoff game against Churchill on Thursday, Nov. 4. The Wildcats fell to Churchill in a well-fought 3-0 game, missing the win by just three points in the last set.

“Overall, the game went pretty well. We kept up with [Churchill] and the energy was high, we did our best and it was definitely a fight,” senior Karolyna Swartz said.

The determination and unwavering spirit of the team are the true indicators of this season’s success.

“The environment was right-minded, everyone on the team was cheerful and supportive of each other,” senior Karen Juica said.

Along with the consistent support and drive within the team, the girls are grateful for each other and the traditions of years past that were upheld this year.

“My favorite memory from the season was senior night. I loved making posters and decorating the gym for our seniors as well as seeing their reactions when we presented them their gifts,” junior Wendy Liu said.

Liu was a true powerhouse this season, shattering the competition in countless games with high-flying sets and powerful spikes. Along with Liu’s strong performance, there were several incredible saves throughout the season by Swartz, senior Alexa Cerrud and senior Ella Barret among others.

Several girls will be returning to volleyball in the spring for the co-ed season, optimistic the team will be just as energetic and passionate as this fall.

“I will be returning in the spring and I’m very excited. It will be fun to play with the guys again from last year and can’t wait to work with my teammates again,” Swartz said.

Looking back on the season, It’s safe to say that the girls had a great run. The love in the girl’s hearts for one another was evident even from the stands, translating into their work ethic. It can become clear to any onlooker that the team has such a true commitment to each other and the sport.

“I loved seeing everyone in person, making new friends, the carpools to away games, sister cat gifts and getting food after games,” Liu said.

While the volleyball equipment will remain locked up throughout the winter months, the girls will no doubt will be ready to come back for another great season in 2022.

0
0