Home Plate: Not Just a Home Field

Yes, we all know WJ has been under construction for years and years, and finally it looks to be winding down. This fall, the opening of the new stadium sent a ripple of excitement through the WJ community as fall sports such as football, soccer and field hockey will all be played in front of a communal home crowd. However, a home field doesn’t only mean a familiar place to play, but also a rise in intensity, heart and character.

As a WJ field hockey player, “home-away-from-home” games were nice because sometimes we left earlier and more frequently from our seventh periods, but at the same time, there’s nothing like hearing the cheers from a great crowd as you step out onto the field.

At the first field hockey game this past Wednesday, an impressive home crowd really excited the team. We were already pumped up for the opening game, and as fatigue set in, the fans were there to push harder. A home crowd also shows how much the school cares about the sport and it is even more satisfying when you know that the opposing players have to listen to the home fans being as loud as they can be. All the while, as a player, it’s easy feed off of that intense energy. On Wednesday night, there was a group of seniors rooting for us and honestly, it felt awesome as WJ cheers were being directed toward the entire stadium. After the game, many of them congratulated us on a deserving win, further brightening our spirits to hold onto that sweet taste of victory.

Hearing those fans makes me more determined to play to prove why I am there, representing one of the best schools in the nation through sports. To know people took time out of their busy schedules to come and cheer you on really means a lot, and it gives me that little extra boost of confidence that can make a world of a difference on the field. They consistently remind you of how hard you’ve worked during practices and throughout the season. There’s not a better feeling than knowing hard work has paid off and regardless of a win or a loss, the fans are there to let you know you’ve earned their dedication.

Especially this season, the brand new stadium is also something to be proud of when visiting schools come to play. Knowing your home field is brand new and makes playing on it even more special. Think about it, what did the Washington Nationals players think last season when the brand new Nationals Park opened up? Yeah, even if this is not professional baseball, it’s the same feeling.

Even if the newly approved turf isn’t installed yet, the new WJ stadium is definitely something to be proud about. When I’m standing on the field, I’m certainly proud of the work that’s been put in the making of the stadium and a home field. Whether it’s a win or a loss, fans are always there to applaud for you. This year, home games will be especially thrilling as fans look to stand by your side while representing WJ and being a part of the new stadium’s inaugural season.

0
0