Varsity Field Hockey: After Grueling Game, Team Falls One Point Short

During a grueling match-up with their rivals, the Churchill Bulldogs, the varsity field hockey team did everything they could to extend their three-game winning streak, but they came up just short by a score of 0-1.

Eleven minutes into the game, Churchill found the back of the net off a corner, taking control 1-0.

“The whole game felt that it was a back and forth battle, we just happened to have the short end of the stick this game,” said junior forward/midfielder Rachel Skay.

Junior goalkeeper Marjorie McCurry finished the half off strong by not allowing another goal. This season McCurry has been a key for the Wildcats’ success, only allowing five goals behind her in eight games

WJ came out striking at the start of the second half, making it their mission to knot up the game at 1-1. It was a tough night for the Wildcats, every ball seemed to bounce the wrong way. With many close misses and tough breaks, the Wildcats were unable to score in the second half, falling to the Bulldogs.

“I do think that we could have played better,” said Skay.  “The game was sloppy; we just missed too many opportunities to score.”

WJ will look to rebound with a match against Blake on Saturday, Oct. 17 at WJ.

0
0