Black mold takes over G floor, shocks community

The effects of exposure to the mold are still being studied, but it’s been reported to cause dizziness, disorientation, and fainting. (Courtesy Eric Heupel via Flickr)

To the terror of building services, black mold spread rapidly during Spring Break, covering most of the G floor by the time students returned to WJ.

On April 1, students were horrified to discover that black mold had coated the hallways and classrooms of the G floor, filling the area with a cloud of choking smog.

“It was disgusting! I mean we all knew that there was some mold at the school, but I can’t believe how quickly it took over,” sophomore Alexandra Hawksworth said.

Building services quickly responded, attempting to stop the spread of the mold using controlled fires and copious amounts of vinegar and bleach. However, their efforts were largely unsuccessful, forcing them to block off all stairways to contain it.

Several students collapsed after exposure to the fumes emanating from the mold, and were transported to the nearby NIH complex so their symptoms could be studied.

“It was kind of like getting high! Not that I’d know what that’s like, obviously, but I’ve heard some kids describe it,” freshman Abigail Freidlin said, one of the afflicted.

While most teachers have adapted to the situation by hosting classes virtually, some are insistent that this shouldn’t prevent students from attending class per usual. “My classroom is on the first floor, in 116. Is the mold on the first floor? No! So I expect all my students to come to class on time and ready to learn,” AP World History and AP Comparative Government teacher Mitch Joy said.

Administration has announced plans to purchase approximately 100 portables and place them on the football and baseball fields, allowing classes to continue to be held in person.

“Here at WJ, we believe in-person learning is a critical part of ensuring student success. If the only way to continue to offer it is going into debt buying portables, so be it,” administrator Rachel Maturana said.

As a result of the planned portable purchase and placement, all spring sports have been canceled, upsetting athletes who were looking forward to the new season.

“What the heck, man? Are [administration] allowed to do this?” junior Hudson Barrett said.

Barrett organized a walk-out against the decision, and was expelled shortly thereafter.

0
0