Music at its finest, featuring Wolfgang Koch-Paiz

seth c

More stories from Seth Cohen

Senior Wolfgang Koch-Paiz is a student in AP Music Theory this year. Koch-Paiz plays the violin and really enjoyed the class. Photo courtsey of Flickr.

While watching singers and instrumentalists play, people see and hear the pleasing music that is put on display. However, in the mind’s of the performers, there are so many other variables that have to be taken into account.

Here at Walter Johnson there’s a class offered called AP music theory. So what is AP music theory? Well, it’s not the basic music class with instruments or singing. Instead, this class looks into the theoretical elements behind music such as the science and math.The students surprisingly work quite a deal with numbers, often working with intervals and chords that have to be counted in whole and half steps. They also have to remember how many steps are in between each note.

One student in particular, senior Wolfgang Koch-Paiz, is a serious violinist who has aspirations of attending college specifically for music. He’s very excited to be able to be in this year’s AP music theory class and appreciates the different outlook this class brings to the music world.

“It’s basically the math behind the music, it teaches you how to understand it better. Think of it as an English teacher or an author with grammar,” Koch-Paiz said.

Another student, senior Amina Hossain, praises Koch-Paiz for the hard work he puts into practicing his violin. He practices three to four hours a day as he masters his techniques.She also admires the great talent she believes he has and notes how masterful his work is.

“He’s very passionate about music and his violin; he’s sent me his pre-screenings and audition videos and they are quite impressive,” Hossain shared.

Koch-Paiz is very in touch with his instrument and when asked about how much his violin means to him, he didn’t hesitate to share how enthusiastic he was.

“You form a bond with your with your instrument. In my case, it’s my violin. I’ve found a meaning in my violin. It’s like a singer expressing themselves through their vocal chords. The strings are my vocal chords,” Koch-Paiz excitedly expressed.

Teachers such as Andrea Morris and others in the music staff know of and are very supportive of Koch-Paiz’s ambitions. Along with Morris, several staff members of the music department are always willing to open practices rooms for him after school.

With the work ethic Koch-Paiz has he is sure to find success with his violin. Both students and teachers are aware of the talent he has and how hard he works for it.

0
0

Seth Cohen, Staff Writer

Senior Seth Cohen is a staff writer for the Pitch. This is Seth’s first year working for The Pitch. Outside of The Pitch, Seth runs Cross Country along with Indoor and Outdoor track in the Winter and Spring. Along with running, Seth enjoys hanging out with friends, exercising, and thinking about the deeper things in life. Over the summer, Seth worked at Modell’s Sporting Goods in Bethesda. Seth is excited to see what the future brings and is always excited for the next adventure. He’s looking forward to what should be a fun opportunity writing for The Pitch.