From page to screen: books that have been adapted into movies

Photo courtesy of Pixabay
There have been many books that are adapted into movies. Harry Potter is one franchise that is successful in both domains.

Books and movies are two of the most popular forms of entertainment. For readers and movie enthusiasts alike, there are movies that are actually adaptations of books. Listed below are a few of them.

Harry Potter
This is a household name that nearly everyone has heard of. The book tells the story of the titular young wizard named Harry Potter, and his seven years at the wizarding school called Hogwarts. The films started off as a seven-book series written by British author J.K. Rowling. The novels later became a highly acclaimed film series with actors such as Emma Watson,Tom Felton and Daniel Radcliffe playing the main characters. Both mediums gained large traction among the masses, making it one of, if not the most popular franchises in today’s pop culture.

The Outsiders
“The Outsiders” by S.E. Hinton is a book that many read back in middle school English class. Set in the 1950s, Tulsa, Oklahoma is divided into the poor greasers and the rich South Side Socs. The story is told from the perspective of 14-year-old greaser Ponyboy Curtis as he is faced with multiple obstacles, from being threatened to be put in a boys’ home to being entangled in murder, the story is rather interesting to say the least. The book was made into a movie in 1983 with most of it being faithful to the book.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
A young adult romance novel, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” by American author Jenny Han was picked up by Netflix and first produced into a movie in 2018. Both the book and the movie revolve around High Schooler Lara Jean when the love letters she wrote were accidentally sent to all of the crushes that she has had before. The other two books in the series were recently turned into Netflix original movies as well.

IT
Released in 1986, Stephen Hawking’s “IT” has been adapted into motion picture twice, once as a miniseries and most recently as a movie. This thriller/horror piece depicts a group of friends who are haunted by an entity; their goal is to completely eradicate it. Although there is only one book, the miniseries and movies are divided into two, the first being in the past where the characters are still children and the second in the present, as adults. The original writing is rather long, with more than 1,000 pages, but the movie is mostly able to accurately depict Hawking’s writing.

Persepolis
“Persepolis” is an autobiography comic book series written by Marjan Satrapi, an Iranian-born French author. The comics depict Satrapi’s life while in Tehran, her move to Vienna, Austria to study abroad and her return to Iran. It deals with topics from war, oppressive government, homelessness and many more. It was later made into an animated movie in black and white with similar character designs to that of the comic books.

0
0