• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Students’ Thanksgiving plans

Photo Courtesy of Flickr
Thanksgiving is a deeply held tradition for many Americans. Foods such as turkey, ham, cranberry sauce, stuffing and gravy are the pillars of a Thanksgiving meal.

Every year on November 25th, people celebrate Thanksgiving across the nation. The holiday is meant for people to gather with family and friends for a day of feasting, giving thanks and for some football. Many Thanksgiving parades also take place, one of the most popular being Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in New York City. Parades are often televised and viewed by millions.

Thanksgiving can be celebrated anywhere and anytime whether that may be with family, friends or both. Some people choose to travel for the holiday.

“I normally stay in town for Thanksgiving, but this year I’m going to Florida with a couple of my friends to celebrate Thanksgiving with one of their families on the beach,” senior Kyra Lee said.

Others enjoy the comfort of their homes on the holiday. Tons of families stay in town, especially if they have family and friends near-by.

“Every year my friends and I play football in the morning, then watch football games later on. Afterward, my family always has Thanksgiving at my grandma’s. My cousins and I always play a bunch of games like Mario Kart, Pool and Ping pong. My favorite part is when we play basketball against my uncles in the driveway,” junior Aklilu Blumbergwoll said.

People naturally cook their Thanksgiving meals differently, however, common foods include; turkey, ham, stuffing, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, pies and more.

“For me, my dad’s turkey is the highlight of our Thanksgiving meal,” freshman Fiorella Urioste said.

After a big Thanksgiving meal comes a variety of desserts. Usually, people always leave some space in their stomachs for their favorite part of Thanksgiving.

“My aunt always brings apple and pumpkin pies. I also always look forward to eating mashed potatoes,” Blumbergwoll said.

Black Friday is considered the beginning of the holiday shopping season. Millions of people go shopping on Black Friday for countless special shopping deals and heavy discounts.

“For Black Friday my friends or family and I often choose to go to Tysons Corner,” Lee said.

Not only is Black Friday at all kinds of stores and malls in person, but it is also online. Shopping online is the perfect opportunity to get early deals and discounts. It benefits many people from having to deal with the big crowds and long lines everywhere.

“I go Black Friday shopping occasionally with my whole family or friends. Sometimes I also go Black Friday shopping online just in case I don’t find much when I go shopping in person, ” Urioste said.

1
0