Can the holidays be enjoyed vegan?

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia commons
The thick layers of chocolate topped with mouthwatering candy canes is simply irresistible. Especially around the holidays, there is simply no better dessert.

Food 1: Apple Pie
Nothing defines the holiday season like a warm and delicious apple pie. The crumbling crust with seasoned cooked apples inside, eaten together with ice cream around a table filled with family and friends simply encapsulates the holidays. The only question is; will you stick with the traditional apple pie, or aim for a vegan option?

Nonvegan:
Apple pie is a staple for many households during the holidays especially, but really stretches throughout the whole year, no matter what the weather outside is. Nothing fulfills this more than a classic, simple, and just utterly delicious apple pie made using this beautiful traditional recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/apple-pie-recipe-2011423.

Vegan:
Apple pie is one one of the best flavors, and scents, during the holiday season. The warm, crispy crust and the sweet but tart apple filling. For newly turned vegans, the prospect of a holiday without their beloved apple pie may sound intimidating but have no fear, this holiday you will be able to turn even vegan apple pie into a delight with this delicious recipe:
https://tasty.co/recipe/vegan-apple-pie.

Food 2: Peppermint bark
Peppermint bark is one of the most simple, but absolutely delectable holiday desserts. No matter how you make it, the rich bark with flavorus hints of peppermint, along with any other desired toppings, is hard to beat. But again, will you stick with a classic version of peppermint bark, or go vegan for the holidays?

Nonvegan:
Containing both semisweet chocolate and white chocolate, a traditional version of peppermint bark is nothing short of absolutely mouthwatering. If you think it’s delicious on its own, stick it in the freezer overnight and get ready to be amazed using this recipe:

Recipe from: https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/christmas/a24882732/homemade-peppermint-bark-recipe/.

Vegan:
Maybe you are lactose intolerant, or perhaps just looking for a way to enjoy the holidays, in a vegan way. Well look no further than this peppermint bark recipe right here: https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-peppermint-bark/. And don’t fret, because vegan chocolate exists, and some may argue that it’s better than regular.

Personal favorite holiday dessert NONVEGAN: Jelly donuts
The only way to go for this one is with a nonvegan option. Jelly donuts are a classic winter dessert associated with Hanukkah, although they are truly meant for anyone with respectable taste buds. The heavenly dough with just the least bit of powdered sugar with exquisite strawberry jelly bursting through the middle is something you can not turn your back on. The only way to truly feel the experience of jelly donuts is by home cooking them with this recipe: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/jelly-doughnuts/.

Personal favorite holiday dessert VEGAN: Banana Bread

Vegan:
While perhaps not the most “traditional” holiday food, banana bread takes the cake when it comes to vegan recipes. And the smell when it’s fresh out of the oven is to die for. And chocolate chips are a must, so feel free to hop to your local giant or trader joes and pick up a pack of vegan chocolate chips, a staple for this recipe right here: https://simple-veganista.com/vegan-banana-tea-bread/. A little trade secret: add a little maple syrup on top to avoid having dry banana bread.

Peppermint bark

Nonvegan:
Ingredients:
12 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
12 oz white chocolate, chopped
½ tsp. peppermint extract
8 candy canes, crushed
Steps:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fill the bottom of a large pot with 3” water and bring to simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, then place a large heatproof bowl on top. Add semi-sweet chocolate and stir occasionally until chocolate has melted. Stir in extract. Pour into prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer with an offset spatula. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes.
Over the same pot of barely simmering water, place another large heatproof bowl. Add white chocolate and stir until melted. Pour over set semi-sweet chocolate then top immediately with candy canes. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes.

Peppermint Bark
Vegan:
Maybe you are lactose intolerant, or perhaps just looking for a way to enjoy the holidays, in a vegan way. Well look no further than this peppermint bark recipe right here. And don’t fret, because vegan chocolate exists, and some may argue that it’s better than regular.
Ingredients:
Dark chocolate layer:
14 oz dark chocolate
1 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp peppermint extract (optional)
White chocolate layer:
14 oz white chocolate
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
Both
4 crushed peppermint candy canes
Directions:
Break up the chocolate and melt in a microwave safe bowl, making sure to check every 30 seconds to avoid burning the chocolate
Once melted, mix in the coconut oil and peppermint extract
Pour onto parchment paper, dark chocolate first and white on top of it. You can do this into specific shapes, but it’s easiest to just make a large rectangle and later cut it into small chunks
Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top and put in the freezer to cool down and harden for at least 2 hours
Once fully hardened, you can cut it up using a sharp knife if you made it into a rectangle. Once it’s in the shape you want it, enjoy!

Vegan Peppermint Bark

0
0