• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

The Burrito Mile concludes the last Pennies for Patients fundraiser in February

• Senior Andrew Schell swallowing his burritos with water to get to the running part of the race. The track star, Schell has a winning streak for the Pennies for Patients’ Burrito Mile event, and won this year with a 7:15 mile time.

• From left to right: Timmy Gaul and Madeline Chung displaying the WJ camaraderie by high-fiving after finishing the race. The nice weather permitted the event to be as successful as it was.

• Senior Andrew Schell departing from the starting line and getting a head start on all the other contestants. Finishing the race with a 7:15 mile time, Schell won a twenty dollar gift card to Fish Taco as his prize.

• On their home run to the finish line, Erin Gardiner and Madeline Chung smiling and relieved about their final lap. “I was very intimidated by the size of the burrito and I had fun running with my friend.This was a great event to end February and P4P,” Chung said.

• Rounding off to finish his first lap, freshman Timmy Gaul gets his arms pumping to move him along. The race went well for him and he finished with a 10.03 mile time.

• From left to right: Madeline Chung, Erin Gardiner, Josh Hananel, and Timmy Gaul devouring their burritos as the race began. The runners had 5 minutes to eat their burritos from Fish Taco and had to completely finish the rice burrito and get the “go” from the leadership team before being able to start running.

• The leadership students explaining to the first heat of runners the rules while Erin Gardiner ties her shoe laces in preparation. The leadership class set up the competition right after school and was extremely proud with the turnout.

• From left to right: Seniors Andrew Schell and Madeline Chung having a competitive talk before the mile begins. This is the first time Chung has participated in this event and she came in optimistically and dressed in a number 1 foam finger costume.

• The second heat of the Burrito Mile racing to finish the rice burrito the quickest in order to get ahead in the race. Leadership class decided to make all the rest of the participants go together instead of their original plan of having five different heats.

• Alejandro Linares grabbing the attention of the runners before they set the timer and tell the contents to begin. This was the last event to raise money for Pennies for Patients and was a great way to end the month.

• Sophomore Olin Kimball and senior Caroline Cassano sprinting past the finish line after the four laps around the track. Once the runners would pass the finish line, a student from the leadership class would read out the times and then the runners would report their times.

• Junior Matt Uhl taking his t-shirt off before the finish line while being encouraged by the audience members on the side of the track. Not only were there many runners in the race, but a large audience came to support as well.

1
0