WJ Baby’s comeback: an inside look

Photo Courtesy WJ Baby
WJ Baby celebrates the Wildcat win over the Paintbranch Panthers. “Its a great tradition; its unique, its funny, I hope that we carry it on,” senior Anthony Levri said.

After a long hiatus, the WJ Baby is back in action, an event met by widespread excitement across the student body. Being the central icon of sporting events, you may see this mini celebrity being hurled through the sky at football games. However, there’s a lot more that goes on behind the scenes. We were able to get some insider information about what the WJ Baby was up to all this time, her reflections on her experience and plans for the upcoming year.

Q: Where have you been all this time?

A: I’ve been vacationing in Barbados, enjoying my time off.

Q: Can you share the story of your disappearance?

A: What do you mean? I never disappeared. I simply retired, assuming my work in the WJ student section was done. Clearly, I was wrong.

Q: Were you working on any special projects or missions while you were gone?

A: No secret projects, at least ones I’d be willing to share. I’ve actually been spending most of my time reminiscing on my tenure as the WJ baby.

Q: What did you miss most about being the WJ Baby?

A: My loving fans hurling me around the stands at Walter Johnson sporting events. Nothing compares to that feeling. I also enjoy giving out autographs.

Q: What lessons or experiences did you gain from your time away?

A: I learned the core values of humility and gratitude. Sometimes it’s easy to get sucked into the praises of my multitude of adoring fans. Taking a step back allowed me to be more reflective and focus on managing my ego.

Q: How did your sudden reappearance come about? Did you anticipate your return to be this popular?

A: I realized the student section was lame and needed hype and invigoration. I didn’t expect the popularity. I just did what needed to be done.

Q: Are there any upcoming events or appearances where students and fans can see you again?

A: Show out to the football game on Oct 27th against Churchill, and possibly the upcoming hockey games for a little meet and greet.

Q: Are you involved in any way with leadership? What would you like to say to SGA about spirit days, game themes, and more?

A: This baby has a lot to say. First and foremost, I am not in any way affiliated with SGA. Like the rest of us, I’ve been frustrated by the repetitive spirit days and themes. I will say, the Homecoming video was great, carried by Olin and Bryan Kibet. Other than that, leadership has some serious work to do. Lucky for you, I am willing to step up and share some ideas. We could do madcows, which could be black vs white, construction worker, caveman, cops and robbers and so much more.

Q: So many of us are curious about who takes care of you. Is it a transfer system, from senior to senior? Or are you just moving through highschool like the rest of us. Is graduation in the baby cards, and maybe even college?

A: The caretaker is determined by divine intervention, much akin to the Mandate of Heaven or the Divine Right of Kings. I know many are expecting me to move on to bigger and better things, but being the WJ baby means I stay at WJ. I can’t fade on the people who made me who I am. I plan to spend the rest of my years being hurled through the sky at Walter Johnson sporting events until I grow old and gray.

Q: Can you offer any words of reassurance or inspiration to the school community that may have been worried about your absence?

A: To all my fans… Never fear, the baby is here.

Q: Finally, what would you like to say to those who are curious about your identity? Any hints?

A: No hints. To those who are curious, be wary. You might find something you don’t like.

2
0