Pitch Opinion: To Mrs. Baker: Thank you

WJ Principal Jennifer Baker gets dumped with ice water as part of the ALS Ice Bucket challenge in the 2014 fall pep rally. Bakers participation and active involvement in school activities and community have made her a mainstay of WJs culture for years.
Photo courtesy Sarah Schecker
WJ Principal Jennifer Baker gets dumped with ice water as part of the ALS Ice Bucket challenge in the 2014 fall pep rally. Baker’s participation and active involvement in school activities and community have made her a mainstay of WJ’s culture for years.

The Pitch first reported on WJ Principal Jennifer Baker on May 23, 2011, when we broke the news of the appointment of a new principal. Since then, the name Jennifer Baker has been featured in dozens if not hundreds of articles as a key part of our school, our culture and our community.

Principal Baker, or in Pitch articles simply: Baker, has led the WJ community through both success and challenge. It is hard to simply state the presence and influence that she has had over students and the community every single day for the past 12 years. Yet, as we reflect on her time as principal, we would like to thank her for everything. For our successes. For our achievements. For even our tough times.

As an institution, The Pitch serves two main purposes: to record the story of WJ and to serve as an educational experience for students of journalism. Baker has helped us achieve both. Providing perspective and comment on important stories, she has helped us and our readers bridge the information gap between students and administration. Providing opportunities to do interviews with Pitch staff members, of which she has probably done hundreds, she has helped us grow our knowledge and experience in the field of journalism. And all the while, she has helped maintain good relations between The Pitch and school administration, which we understand is crucial to reporting accurate and factual information.

Besides supporting The Pitch, Baker could always be seen supporting our school’s sports teams, music concerts, clubs, assemblies, pep rallies and beyond. Starting during her time as a math teacher at WJ in the late 90’s, Baker always put her students first. Every day she worked at WJ, she created a strong sense of community that allowed students to flourish and her love for her students and her job was always evident.

With Baker leaving the building for the final time on Friday, Dec. 1 we will soon say our final farewells. However, before that, The Pitch can report one last time on WJ Principal Jennifer Baker. We feel that we can happily and confidently report that, all in all, Baker’s time at WJ has been positive for the staff, students and community, and she has made the state of our school strong.

So from The Pitch to Mrs. Baker: Thank You, and we wish you a happy, healthy retirement.

2
0