Six horror movie picks for this Halloween season

Photo courtesy Flickr
These are Josh Hananel’s top films for the spooky season. Digging either the classic or the modern, there is a movie for everyone.

This Halloween season, make sure to settle down with a cozy, soothing, new movie. I’ve created a list of six movies that conjure up the essence of the Halloween season; shining the light on three modern films and three more-so classics, all of which are a must-watch for lovers of the horror genre.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

The chainsaw-brandishing “Leatherface” mows down a group of friends in this vintage classic. The movie is full of intense chase sequences and darkly comedic remarks, especially during the family dinner scene. It still holds up almost 50 years later, and the influence it has had on the villains and slasher films of today is clear.

Jennifer’s Body (2009)

In this now cult-classic, Megan Fox, playing Jennifer, devours teenage boy after teenage boy. It’s a satirical and unexpectedly comical movie that, looking back, was honestly ahead of its time, emphasizing different perspectives of feminism through the new lens of a horror film. Be warned, there are a fair amount of vampiric and demonic activities.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

This one is more drama and crime infused than strictly horror, but nonetheless is the only horror movie to win the Academy Award for best picture, as well as winning best actor, actress, director, and adapted screenplay. So many haunting scenes are packed into this, with Anthony Hopkins and Ted Levine portraying serial killers, both equally messing with Jodie Foster’s head as she tries to break into their psyche.

Barbarian (2022)

“Barbarian” subverts all expectations of what this movie is going to be about, and most importantly, who exactly to fear. Following the main character down a basement has never been so frightening, especially that of an “Airbnb,” which has been double booked with an odd man already inside. Definitely the most modern of the movies on this list, and is filled with shocking moments.

It Follows (2014)

One of the most original supernatural ideas is implemented through this story of a group of teenagers. The curse that inflicts its victims follows them, whether through the body of a stranger or friend. The entity forever walks slowly to its victim, and can only be seen by those who have been afflicted in the past. The teens have to fight back against this monster in the film with clever maneuvering and strategy.

Get Out (2017)

Released just over six years ago, Jordan Peele’s debut film has already turned into a modern-day classic, where not knowing the “twist” in this movie can draw almost as much attention as saying you don’t know who Luke Skywalker’s father is. Being aware that something ominous is going on, or even knowing the movie inside and out still cannot help you dodge the punch this movie gives in its final act. Its observations of the American 21st century racial dynamic are both satirical and thought-provoking.

4
0